anxiety really??

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I'm am 40 year old male who constantly feels like I have something wrong with me, my Dr says I suffer from anxiety which is why I feel like this but to be honest, while I may have anxiety it is because I can't seem to get an explanation as to why I aways have pain.  I'm sure that once this pain is resolved then my worry would subside.

Early last last I had indigestion pain for a few weeks, failing to stop this I went to the Drs who prescribed Omoprezole.  Following a couple of months the pain was still there so I went back to the Drs who ordered a endoscope.

It was discovered I had a small hiatus hernia and mild gastritis.  I was prescribed a different strength PPI tablet and sent home.

With only slight improvement I went back after a couple of months and the Dr this time reference me to Gastroenterology.   These guys ran loads of blood work a CT scan of the abdomen and stool tests.

All but the stool test came back ok, now because of this they performed a EUS ( endoscope ultrasound) of the pancreas to check for pancreatic problems.

This came back clear with the result saying pancreas is entirely normal, so I was discharged with IBS probably caused by being anxious.

However 10 months later I have started to get the same chest discomfort, a feeling of being winded in the middle chest area. The Dr say it is just acid and has changed my Omoprezole to a higher doze. There is very little or no difference from taking these.

I have now been referred back to Gastroenterology to see what they say and go next week.

My GPS is sure my anxiety is making things worse and that my pain is acid ,however the symptoms I have sound different to what others describe when they have reflux  so I would be keen to hear if anyone has loose stools, discomfort in the middle chest area (bottom of Oesophagus) a feeling of being winded all the time.

It doesn't get better or worse with food is just always there.

Could anxiety really cause these issues?

Any help would be appreciated  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Legoman,

I don't have much experience, but I do know anxiety and stress can cause a lot of physical issues, and that its not only just mental. People see anxiety as a weakness or nothing serious, but it can be.

I also think that you should trust your gut, and if you think there is something more that is wrong, get a second opinion! If you think the doctors might be right, try doing things to help your anxiety. Eat differently, exercise, sleep, breathing techniques, you name it.

I hope you feel better!

-J

• Posted

Thanks jade23295 I'm 50/50 to be honest, I seem to have had all the tests with nothing found. But still don't seem right. I suppose I will see what happens when I meet them next week. Cheers

• Posted

Hello Legoman

This isa little awkward, you have had the whole spectrum of tests and your GP has ordered a further tranche of tests as a possible second opinion. I am not saying the problem is medical or stress,anxiety related, all we can give is support and hope you get a clean bill of medical health

With Anxiety and stress the mind can really make us feel there is something wrong and it can be veryhard to say otherwise. So your GP is following a well worn pathway associated with your mental health condition.

Basically do you feel you have any form of stress anxieties and concerns at home or work, sometimes this can show up if you are feeling stressed in yourself. or with other people. If you know your concern you can possibly move on and your problem will be aknowleged by you and possibly control the problem.

All I will say however, your GP has this in hand and I would bow to His decisions

BOB

• Posted

Thanks Bob, I used to be a calm individual until this started last year, I have now became a nervous worrier. I just seem to be in a vicious circle of is it health or is it mind.

Hopefully I will learn more next week.

Cheers

• Posted

Hello Legoman

You know where we are if support is needed

BOB

• Posted

Oh my gosh yes. Time and time again on this site,with anxiety,they talk about being winded,can;t breathe,chest pain,over and over again,along with 100 other symptom's. Hasn't you GP asked you about a antidepressant,or a nerve pill. Sounds like you need it. If this keeps up,why don't you give it a try. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.