Anxiety, started sertraline, feel worse

Posted , 5 users are following.

Was on Zoloft 17 years ago after I had my daughter took it until 2010 and then I weaned off of it successfully. Just three weeks ago I was started back on Sertraline 25 milligrams for anxiety and panic it seems as though I feel worse my head is foggy I'm dizzy I'm tired I am sleeping pretty well however will this get better!? I didn't have any issues just starting it when my daughter was a baby, she is now 17 and I also have A7 year old daughter I need to get my life back for them and for me and for my husband who is super supportive

1 like, 11 replies

Report / Delete

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi ann, i was on and off anti anxiety meds for years, i quit Cymbalta cold turkey but couldnt handle the withdrawals so i cross tapered with setraline, its been about 5 weeks and im still not sure if its working. I still have panic attacks almost daily....but it could be because im going through a midlife crisis....and i also miss a day here amd there. Im gonna try and give it another 2 or 3 weeks and if im not better i will switch or try something else. Keep pushing though

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

ann

Try and give the medication time to work well, say another two weeks ???

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That's what I thought too, went to social worker today and she said to increase to 50mg with Dr's OK... Idk... I hate this '' no light at end of tunnel scared feeling :'(

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you!! Like I said I took sertraline 17 years ago and I felt like it reacted much quicker back then, I know my body chemistry has probably changed over the years, I'm doing cognitive behavioral therapy I am listening to positive affirmations. I think I'm doing everything I need to do with the exception of eating I'm not eating really well because I'm so anxious all the time any other suggestions? I just wanna feel normal and goofy as usual

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

ann

I know how you feel, eat well to keep well.

I use diversion therapy that involves doing something to take away my negative thoughts.

One thing I do that is crazy 

I use walking sticks etc to get around because of my disability. You can purchase canes with metal handles in the shape of animals or complex type designs. When I go out I can change the handles and it seems to help my mood a bit as walking now is very painful now

Do anything to change your mood, whatever crazy, I just got another stick today it has a silver colour samon for a handle, tomorrow I get two new handles and another walking stick with an Elephant trunck for a handle anything to divert your worries and concerns

Keep a hold ann

BOB

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Feeling worse before you get better is very normal with this medication. I'm 15 weeks on 150 and I'm still not back to normal. I think the majority of people on here find it takes anywhere from 6-12 weeks to get your old self back. Some people unfortunately, like me, has taken up to 6 months to get full benefit. I was on 100 mg for 7 years and then had to go to 150 15 weeks ago, i have my good days but not as many as I'd like. Hang in there.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up