Anxiety, Struggling to Cope. Please Help.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

So a couple of months ago i took myself to A&E with what i thought was a heart attack - chest pain and breathlessness, and sheer panic! This happened twice, i was told everything was fine - and have since been diagnosed by my doctor as suffering from anxiety.

This is all very new to me, ive never had it before - and it coming on all of a sudden has frightened me. Since I was diagnosed with anxiety i have had a major case of gastrisis, which thankfully is now on its way out.

Today i have noticed myself getting worked up, and slightly breathless again, I have taken the propanamol which my doctor prescribed (which have been working fine) but today they just dont seem to be working fully, granted im not having a full on panic attack but im frightened inside and feel slightly breathless.

I know its all in my mind, but it feels so real.

Does anyone have any coping strategies for this? Or any ideas as to why this has just started. I was having a stresssful time in my life when it started, so ive put it down to that.

I'm meant to be going abroad on holiday next weekend for a week, and i'm terrified this will happen abroad - so much so, im debating whether or not to even go!

Please someone help, i cant cope feeling like this anymore.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I get the same way. I have generalized anxiety and panic disorder. I'm always feeling out of breath and not myself. It sucks. I used to feel normal when going out, except slight anxiety; normal anxiety. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice, and I'm sorry. rolleyes
    • Posted

That's ok Kayla, I think it's nice just to hear from other people suffering with it - makes me realise I'm not alone.
  • Posted

I'm experiencing the same symptoms as you described. And as you say the propranolol sometimes doesn't seem to work. In fact these last two days I've felt as I couldnt catch my breath so felt dizzy all day - so far I haven't been given any coping strategies but what I try to do is busy myself - it's hard but ive started playing scrabble on my iPad!! I know it sounds a small thing but it does help to a degree to distract my mind. My anxiety came out of the blue last November - and everyday since then it's been awful. It's hard to motivate yourself when you feel so anxious - it also makes you feel exhausted. I've tried breathing techniques - but don't  seem to be able master them to make a difference. I'm going to try CBT through my GP- I'll try anything. Till then I'll have to keep taking medication. My GP says be kind to yourself and don't push yourself too hard especially when you feel 

"beside yourself".  recovering from anxiety can take time but I'm assured I will get better - so I hold on to that - in the meantime I rest a lot. Play lots of scrabble and try to stay positive.  whilst I'm going through this anxiety I'm inclined not to travel too far, and even limiting visits to friends and family as that seems to cause stress and anxiety so I prefer to keep to my safe zone.

i wish you well. You will get better ! Hold on to that. I do. I think I'll go and play scrabble !! 

• Posted

So sorry your going through it too, without sounding like a b***h, I'm glad I'm not the only one though if that makes sense. I know I need to go out of my comfort zone but it's hard when I feel so unsafe. When people are around me I'm fine, it's when I'm alone and overthinking things, Iv found playing candy crush today took my mind off things a bit so I'm going to find some other little things to keep myself amused with for when this happens again. Touch wood for the time being I feel calmer. X
  • Posted

Try and keep yourself occupied when the attacks come on, exercise (yoga),meditation, I know its not much but it helps mebiggrin
    • Posted

I've found that playing candy crush today has taken my mind off it slightly so I'll find more little things to keep me occupied xx
  • Posted

Hi Laura hope u are better. You have written exactly word for word. How I suffer. Also been twice to a & e with chest pain, also aciud refux butcwith chest pain and extremely fatigued with the anxiety. How was that and how long for ,did you also have a coiugh?Can you read the book, self help for your nerves by Dr claier weeks ,you can take it away itsxa life saver and good distraction technique too.
    • Posted

I'll give that book a go, thanks. I've had it in total almost a month on and off. When the nervousness comes it can last anywhere up to a few hours. Today's been a bad day, on and off all day panicky. Hopefully tomorrow will be much better X
    • Posted

That is an excellent book, I purchased it recently and really does help. Just reading it helps by letting you know the various symptoms of anxiety, I never knew there were so many weird symptoms involved with this disorder. At least it helps you know that you're not alone ot crazy.

Brian

• Posted

Are they closer to panic attacks are anxiety attacks?

can you function when you have these thoughts?

• Posted

I think anxiety attacks. I feel worried inside, then I feel as though I can't catch my breath properly and my chest burns. I've seen a panic attack before on someone else and I'm 99% sure it's not that. I just feel constantly worked up, for no reason whatsoever x
    • Posted

Try putting a LITTLE BIT of water in your mouth, sitting straight up, and breating through your nose.

Let me know if this works, and remember that you're not alone in this.

If you need anything, post on here or feel free to send me a PM.

Good luck and all the best!

• Posted

Yeah, I didn't notice any difference to be honest. I will try again though next time it comes on x
    • Posted

sorry about that, it really thought it would help.

have you tried hyperventaliting into a paper bag?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.