Anxiety Symptoms?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello! 

I'm a 21 year old college student currently living at home for the summer before going back to school. I have been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder, OCD, Depression, Panic Disorder, and a form of PTSD. I also experience emetophobia. 

Here's a list of my symptoms;

Hot flashes

Brain Fog

Indigestion, Diarrhea, Constipation

Fatigue

Lightheaded Spells

Inability to Focus

Memory Problems 

Difficulty Concentrating

Loss of Appetite 

Irritability and Frustration

Dissociation 

Forgetting Words Easily

Chest Pain (sometimes)

Hyperawareness

Overanalyzing 

Constant Fear 

Hypochondriac Behavior 

Loss of Passion / Interest

Dazed

It's the memory issues and brain fog that worries me the most. I have discussed these symptoms with my doctor and they have chalked it up as anxiety - which I'm sure it is, but this is all disconcerting. 

I have a few stresses in my life right now;

1) Student loans/paying for school for the next semester

2) Working 2 jobs at 50-70 hours p/week

3) Figuring out the living situation for next semester

4) Family stress

5) Politics / state of the world

I was on Lexapro (25mg) for a long time, however, I had to get my meds mailed to me from home. My parents would constantly forget and I ended up weening off that medication, even though it worked wonders. Now I'm on Zoloft (25mg) but it causes intense nausea which ends up leaving me at home instead of going to work. I've taken it once so far. 

Though this is, most likely, all stemming from my anxiety/stress - I want to know if this is something more serious than it actually is. 

Thank you!

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have a lot of the same problems. Although not depression or ptsd I have severe anxiety, panic disorder and ocd. And also emetophobia is something I deal with as well. Most of your symptoms I can relate to and actually get quite often. I'm sure that it's all just anxiety. I'm currently on zofran which helps with nausea. I would try to go back to the previous medication you were taking of you could and if it worked well. Check with your doctor of course but truly it's most likely anxiety.

• Posted

Hi As a former student health counsellor I empathise with your situation. May I ask u a few questions?

1. Are u having a healthy substantial diet? If not then this can cause a kilot of your signsnd symptoms eg light headedness, anxiety etc. Smoking and drinking can also be a root cause especially on an empty stomach.

2. Are you a healthy weight for your ht?

3. What jobs are u doing to make ends meet?

PRACTICAL ADVICE.

Now all students face the same situation unless from rich families so you have plenty of peer support presumably?

I expect you are looking to rent somewhere with other students in order to share the cost and to survive.

Politic and stat of the world. Unfortunately there isn't a lot we can do to change things at the moment anyway so.... NO point getting stressed about them. 

Family stress. Inevitable. You don't say how this manifests itself but you have to focus on yourself.

It is useful to make a list of the things that are troubling you which you have already done on here then going thru it to see what things you can change and what you can't.

Your signs and symptoms seem to be caused by anxiety which is a horrible thing but common amongst people esp students. Try to have an outlet such as exercise, yoga, meditation etc. There are online tapes and videos on this.  You are working far too many hours. You need to cut down on this.Take care keep strong.j

Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.