Anxiety taking over life

Posted , 3 users are following.

Not the first time I've posted here but I literally feel like I can't live a normal life anymore. This evening, I have had my legs freeze, then I started having palpitations and after checking pulse felt an irregular heartbeat. After this I took 10mg propranolol which eased it off a bit - however, my head being my head, wouldn't calm down. I spoke to a medical professional who asked me to go to the nearest A&E due to the heart palpitation and pain in upper back (which I believe to be from my hiatus hernia). I've been in A&E at least once a week for the last 2 months - which is a LOT. In that time I've had countless blood tests, chest x Ray's, ECG tests and even had a CT Scan. In the last few days I've been getting really bad headaches, and I can feel my temples pulsating where it's hurting. I've been taking cocodamol (A&E prescribed) the last few days to help me sleep which has definitely worked - but I'm just sick to death of feeling this way. First I'm thinking I'm having a heart attack, then I've started too think I have a brain tumour. I can just never win and I feel like I'm in a constant battle with myself and my head. Not being able to sleep is the worst feeling. I just feel lost in my life at the minute......

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That was me the last 2 months but I've gotten better. If you have gotten checked out and nothing pops up and seems fine then don't worry about it to much. I feel your pain. You are not alone and you are not the only that suffers from this.
  • Posted

Have you had cbt therapy? They sell the workbook online if you google it. You need to unnderstand whats going on and how to take apart the way you illogically think. You are reacting not responding to the world around you. Easier said then done but its a good starting point. Health anxiety comes from denial that you have a panic disorder. A mix of denial and maybe wishful thinking because how can anxiety do all this to a person. It can and it does. Its not the run of the mill anxiety. It is a panic disorder thats not understood or managed yet, unmanaged then you form ocd and it becomes a nightmare. Cbt is important to learn, practice and be very hands on with. Going isnt enough. Talking isnt enough. You seriously have to pour your entire being in to it. The cbt counselor needs to be a good one too. It can be self taught as well. You have to change the whole way you think so you can manage the panic attacks logically. Doesnt mean you wont get them. You will. It means you won't fear the adrenaline rush and it wont recycle. Very hard work involved. You will also have to acknowledge the ocd as well now.the health anxiety aspect. A lot of work will need to go into this. It is a battle. It is. And set backs occur and fear can be difficult to tame but it is manageable if you committ to changing. It is okay to feel lost of course you would feel that way. Everything has changed now. So grab the bulls by the horn and go to cbt therapy, talk therapy if needed, get some cbt workbooks and begin. Go get your life back. It will not be "the old you" it will be the "new" you and it will take a long time and a ton of your time to accomplish this. But well worth the journey right? There are meds if needed to help you, and you are one of the lucky ones they work on but either way you have to reshapr how you rationalize out the world around you and accept whats happening and do your best to retrain yourself. It is not easy, no quick fix here.dont expect miracles to occur. Its a slow and steady thing with set backs..and thats okay. 
    • Posted

Problem is therapy is not cheap. My husband makes good money but his heath ins through work stinks,so even we cant afford it.im in the U.S.
    • Posted

You can see if any of the universities have pysch clinics. Some do. For cbt only, or go online and attempt a online cbt course they are a one time fee. You would need to research this if you really wanted to do this. 
  • Posted

snoog maybe you need a drug review of what medication you need on a regular basis.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.