Anxiety, this is all new to me!

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

This is my first time reaching out on any forum about my anxiety so I'm hoping someone can give me some advice or relate to my current situation.

I've been experiencing anxiety and panic attacks for the last 3 weeks after a very stressful event. It's only been a short period of time but I'm struggling to cope on the inside and acting so normal on the outside! I think I'm going crazy and have the weirdest thoughts that never came into my head before this! Also I woke up last night at 3am shaking uncontrollably & haven't been asleep since.

This is affecting me so much I just wanna cry but can't even do that!

I have 4 children and although I'm making sure we get out every day, I still feel like I'm not doing good enough. Then I question do I love them, I know it's stupid, everything I do is for them of course I love them!

I'm constantly on my phone googling if anxiety causes u ______ (whatever symptom I'm feeling) because I want to be sure it's anxiety and not something more. I can't enjoy fb or instagram like I use to, I only go on it to stop researching anxiety.

I also get that worried flip in my stomach for no reason. I could be talking to someone and then my stomach does a flip, like I'm worried about something their saying when I'm not.

Bloody hell just writing it down makes me realise I'm going through a lot!

I've visited my GP and he offered me medication but I refused as I'd rather deal with it with some type of therapy.

Sorry this is so long, thank you if you read to the end!!

2 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bronya!  Welcome to the forums.  I can relate to your situation with your sister, in a way.  I've struggled with anxiety my whole life.  My sister was in a bad, long marriage with a sociopathic husband and divorced him last year.  She has two children, and the three of them are in counseling.  I'm in perimenopause, too, so between trying to learn that I can't fix my sister's life, trying to navigate mine, and dealing with aging parents and a stressful job, I always think something is wrong with me.  Googling symptoms doesn't help, I'm working on breaking that habit!  I know you're hurting; my sister is my best friend, too, but she has become someone I almost don't know.  As sad as that is, our situations with our sisters, we do have to take care of ourselves first.  You are a loving, caring mother; I am a loving, caring aunt.  We deserve to love and care for ourselves, too, which can help us gain perspective on our loved ones and what we can and can't do for them.  Sorry to be so wordy, but I hope this helps and that you'll keep posting here.  This is a really supportive place.  Take care.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you I'm sure I will fit in nicely here!

I'm so glad u reached out to me as I've not found anyone who has a sister so close to them and is going through a hard time. Thank you for sharing ur story with me, u make me realise I'm not alone!

I totally agree, I have taken a step back from contacting her and am working on myself and concentrating on my family right now.

Thank you, you haven't been wordy at all. Positive, supportive & relatable to name a few.

Thank you again, I hope things get better for u!

• Posted

I've had generalized anxiety disorder with intrusive thoughts for 13 years. A lot of people find CBT helpful, my therapist is currently using it on me. I am also on sertraline and will be forever if that's what it takes. The flip in your stomach is the physical symptom of anxiety. I wish you the best of luck in whatever route you choose and keep us updated.

• Posted

Wow that's a long time, I'm glad you have managed to find something that works for u! Anxiety really is so difficult to deal with!

If u don't mind me asking, do u worry about everything such as the future, past and/or present?

I want to try CBT myself as I learned about it during my college course, without too much detail, and saw its benefits. I have tried an online CBT course my doctor recommended to me by moodgym but it focuses a lot on depression which I don't have. How are u finding the CBT? Is there any tips you could recommend?

Today has gradually gotten a lot better I had a cry, I cried for myself because I just want to be better and I cried because I want my sister back ?? I then had a shower, ate & went out with the kids and felt a lot better! No more thoughts just the constant stomach flip which I can cope with! Sometimes when I feel the flip I think I'm scared of the situation or what the person has said to me, if I'm having a conversation, but I've realised it's just an ongoing anxiety symptom like u mentioned. Sometimes I find my anxiety is really bad up until 3/4pm and it gives me a break from the constant thinking. Other days it continues until I go to sleep which is when I find it difficult to manage.

I will definitely stick around and probably give an update once I've started therapy or if u have any other questions.

Thanks for the advice and sharing ur story with me!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.