Anxiety up and down from week to week after moving to Lexapro.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all,

Previously, I was on Prozac for about 4 years for GAD and Panic Disorder. All of a sudden my anxiety increased so much I was in a really bad state (think it was grief related). So I moved back onto Lexapro as this worked well for me before (only came off it because it caused weight gain). After about 4-7 days on Lexapro I felt so much better, and did for about a week or so after that. I'm at about 2 and a half weeks after moving to Lexapro and I'm starting to feel a bit of anxiety back again. Is this normal? Is my body still adjusting to the meds? Or should I just be getting better and better by the day?

Cheers all.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Robbie,

I think you should ask your doctor for the next dose up of Lexapro, unless you're already on the maximum dose. It works for you - possibly you're just not getting enough of it.

love Tess xx

• Posted

Thanks Tess,

I'm currently on 10mg a day, which is what I was on the first time. I'm hoping it's just the meds settling in my body seeing as I've only been on them for just over 2 weeks. Feels like forever though when you're not well!

• Posted

Oh, Robbie, I know that feeling!

The recommendation for physicians is to increase the dose to 20mg daily, usually after just a week, so maybe you DO need an increase.

But it could just be your body adjusting, as you say.

Give it another week and see how you feel then. Are yoou on any other meds, such as Xanax, for example/

Tess x

• Posted

I'm due to go back to the doc next week so I'll reassess then.

I have Ativan in case of need, but I really want to stay away from it as much as possible.

• Posted

I would throw the ativan in the trash.

They increase anxiety, even  if you don't take them often.

They're really addictive and just a 'quick fix' which doesn't help in the least the anxiety they are so often prescribed for.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.