Anxiety....what medication really works ?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with anxiety 3 weeks ago . My symptoms were dizziness everyday whether I am standing , sitting or walking, fast heart rate, numbness, weakness, fatigue, etc. I am overweight and also have blood pressure. I am trying to make changes to my diet by reducing my sodium intake to 1500 mg a day or less and all I drink now is water but occasionally have a soda. I was given xanax to take as needed for when I have an anxiety attack but is there any medication out there that I can take on a regular basis that will stay in my system to keep my attacks at a minimum ? I have a Dr appt Friday to discuss more options cause I cannot work until I can get these attacks under control . Can anyone relate to this ?

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I can relate to these, my worse prob is palpitations , these symptoms are all anxiety ones, its scarey but to be expected because the body nerve system and muscles contract in spasm in reaction to flight or fight, best once you understand whats naturally ocuring.  Go with the flow a bit rather than tense up by relaxed breathing to bring yourself back down and try and go with these symptoms however bad, telling yourself its ok and WILL PASS.  get rest and time out for you , do anything that helps, outdoor walking, talking relaxing whatever, time off work is good at least for a while, you may only need a couple weeks but give yourself that time.  good luck,  GP of course to chat to.
    • Posted

hi i dont take anything as this has only around 2 weeks ago reared up again , well these particular symptoms there seems to be different ones that come and go, but whatever works is good for each person,  i will manage without i expect.

• Posted

Hi!

I took Xanax for a short while and it didn't help much with my symptoms sad on the other hand, my Grandma takes it and says it helps her a lot. How long have you been on Xanax?

• Posted

I have been taking xanax for 3 weeks now and only take it as needed but need something that stays in my system and keeps working cause I get them everyday several times a day.
    • Posted

I was given .25 mg but take 1 then 5 hours later sometimes have to take another cause first one dont work
    • Posted

Yes I think you are responding how I did to Xanax. I definitely suggest seeing your doctor and letting him/her know that Xanax isn't working for you. It may take a few tries to find the right medication!
    • Posted

I was thinking the same thing. I was given xanax after I was released from the hospital 3 weeks ago so now have a new Dr that I am going to Friday so will see what they do.
    • Posted

Good! I'm seeing my psychiatrist today to start a new medication as well, so hopefully we find the right one smile in the mean time try not to sit in bed or stay in your house all day until the afternoon. I have the same symptoms as you and it helps to just go out and be distracted.
    • Posted

I hope all goes well with the psychiatrist. I have these attacks when I go out to grocery stores or wherever I go so its not easy going out either.
    • Posted

Aww sad try to slowly face these fears, I would get panic attacks going out as well but I started little by little even though it was VERY hard the first week. Now I actually feel a little better when I go out. Oh and I had my appointment and was prescribed prozac. So I'll let you know how it goes!
    • Posted

Xanax has a jittery effect when it wear off for a day or so.klonopin is its long term cousin. Very addictive and withdrawls are rough.xanax as needed would b here and there not daily at all
  • Posted

Tour bp could be doing this. Im surprised bo meds arent controlling the anxiety. I can almost be sure to say if you change your diet To a cardio smart diet with low salt and do 30 min exercise a day as the weight lowers and your diet is clean half these symptoms would be gone with six weeks. Take b12 and co enyme q10 the ubiginol one. Then in skx week if you dont feel 50 percent better or more you can always use the medicines.i can massively relate i dropod twenty pounds last year and fixed my bo levels and weight issues. Do i get anxiety thats a disorder but the other symptoms are much better. Im not on meds i cant use them. My doc recommended what i told you and it did work out well, not perfect but well. Its a lot easier to stick to a diet when you know it will absolutely make you feel better. Anxiety mds are not a cure or long term so try the above first. But i am curious if you take blood pressure medications. Im so sorry about the attacks they are horrific and if you need meds to get you to function thats completely understandable but honestly you have to make diet changes asap.
    • Posted

I have made diet changes. Since I have high blood pressure I have cut down on my sodium intake since being diagnosed. I try to exercise as much as I can but when I have an episode I have to lay down and calm myself down. I stopped drinking sodas and drink water now so I am trying .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.