Anxiety :- will it ever end??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm David, I'm 29 and have suffered from panic attacks and anxiety since I can remember.  

I'm a quiet guy who keeps things to himself and treat people with repect.  I got bullied at school because I was quiet. I guess I was the kid everyone liked to make fun of.  

From what I can remember my attacks started when I was around 10-11, I had a virus which caused me to have really back palpitations and I thought I was going to die.   

That ended up with me seeing a doctor in the search for a cure.  CBT happended and I managed to stop my attacks for a period of time.  

Fast forward to the last 18 months and my attacks have come back with vengeance.  So I have gone back to the doctors and they have gave me some tablets (Citalopram) which made me sick, Fluoxetine followed which made my leg tremble and now Mitazapine.  

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to talk about it smile   

I have my first CBT session tomorrow, guess I will have to open up again and  hope it all helps 

Once again sorry for the long post 

David 

1 like, 21 replies

Report / Delete

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

don't be sorry david!! this is what this forum is for, i think: a safe place to share your thoughts without judgment. i hope the cbt starts to help you again. maybe you just need a refresher to remind of the things you already learned once before. i think having had the positive experience you already had with using cbt bodes well for your power to get on top of anxiety this time. take care! lena
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Anxiety has been my life, some days good some days bad... I think confidence plays a big part in defeating Anxiety. So i'm hoping with a possitive attitude and CBT I can cure my problems and get off these meds.  

This forum is brill. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Welcome David, your among friends here. From my experience, exercise and other distractions are excellent, while going through your treatment. No only does it stop me overthinking, I just feel better and healthier.

Anxiety, is a result of spending to much time in our heads, lifetimes in a lot of cases, it holds us back, which in turn makes us feel, even worse.

One of the most logical, notions I read recently, is that someone who bullies, has major issuses themselves. My son, now 19, was bullied for a short period of time, when he was 8, by a 13 year old. That 13 year old is now 23 and his past has caught up with him, and without going into to much detail, his life is not in a good place at the moment. It did have an effect on our son, I hope not a lasting one.

Things happen to us, we lock them up and allow them to build up in us which inturn pushes us down, letting it out and talking is a great medicine in it self.

My distractions, breathing technics, cycling, reading, talking( wife/mum/brother), camping, and this site is a great place to come also, for a rant or advice.

and yes, Open up

Good luck

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Many thanks for the welcome smile  

The plan is have a few CBT sessions, see how I get on.  

Distraction works for me, like now I am on my macbook talking on here all nice and calm.   

I do want to exercise more, I'm 6ft5 with a normal build so hopefully after some cbt sessions I can start running or going to the gym. That should build my confidence up.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Do something that gets you in with other people, set a deadline for next week or 2 weeks to get signed up. The reason I say this is, the quicker we act on something positive the greater the reward, not to mention theres less time to threat over starting something new, which we then talk ourselves out of it and it gets left. Trust me been there
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi David, i was also bullied at school for being quiet and shy. I felt i didn't fit in anywhere.(sometimes- well most of the time i feel like that now).  I feel what i have to say isn't worth anything so i stay quiet.  It's good to talk so don't apologize. Good luck with you sessions. sam
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Well I'm back from my session already feeling alot better.  I have now got a plan in place to deal with this anxiety.   

I have still got a long road ahead to stopping my attacks but now I have someone to talk too and this site I am sure I can put an end to them.  

I have always kept my feelings inside like Sam said in her comment, but by opening up to the right people, it sure makes things alot better.  

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

it is so nice to hear a positive outcome - even if a first step - to your story. bullying is a terrible thing and it is not that fair that you have carried that struggle with you. i wasn't bullied myself, but i fear for it for my children. it is scary that the effects can be so long lasting. you certainly don't deserve that! i am glad that you are feeling better and pls update on how you've done.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You need to exercise daily David. Try taking up running, cycling or swimming. Get those endorphins working in your body that will help to dispel your anxiety. Set goals for getting fitter and stop thinking about your anxiety. Focus on your body by trying to make yourself fitter amd drink lots of water instead of alcohol. The fitter you are, the better you will feel about yourself and your confidence will improve.
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi Gail,  

Yes I do need to exercise more your right.  I don't drink alcohol so that shouldnt be a issuse.  

Near where I live is a pond which is 1.5 mile round, so im going to set my self a goal of running 5 laps before my birthday in july!  starting on Monday..   

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up