Anxiety worse in the evenings

Posted , 6 users are following.

Well I just had another anxiety attack which does seems to occur more in the evenings than any other time of the day. This evening I had a salad roll a cup of decaf coffee and some fresh strawberries. As the evening went on I started feeling wheezy, tight chested and shivery and my heart rate went up to about 95 bpm and also started feeling very anxious so took 40mg propranolol and now feeling much better again with my hr around 64bpm  thanks to the betablocker.   I do wonder if my anxiety is diet related but afraid to suggest this to the doctor.  I also get bouts of diarrhoea  especially if I eat anything with a high fat content. Can anyone else relate to this please? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My anxiety is always worse in the evening especially when it's dark. I can't associate it to food, but it may be right. I don't have the best diet to be honest. I started taking propranolol, but they didn't help me much and I'm convinced they make you put weight on.
  • Posted

Hi

My anxiety is worst in the morning and it wakes me up b today I woke up anxiety free..... I am on Metazapine just upped to 30mg.  I dont know about diet related but yesterday in the evening my food intake was high with rubbish things like toasted teacake and even ice cream.  I dont want that every evening as I had lost weight and quite happy with current weight so will have to watch that..  Dont know if that is any help

• Posted

Hi karoline ..

I cut out caffeine all together , as this can make you anxious , as long as your diet is varied and keep off a lot of the sugar and junk food .. I found that dairy was worse for me .

You will soon know what foods upset your tummy , diarrhoea is also common , I suffered from IBS , but your nerves are effected so this can all play apart in how you are feeling . .. But anxiety does a lot to your body ..

But I found drinking chamomile tea has helped a lot .. 3 times a day .. But you have to make sure you can take anything herbal as this can interact with some anti-anxiety drugs ..

Best wishes . Yvey

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. Just so desperate to find a reason why I feel so bad. sad
  • Posted

hi

my anxiety is always worse in the evening. This is what I Do which seems to help. I don't drink coffee or tea after 7pm and drink camomile tea at 9.30pm. I also take mirtazapine on an evening which is a god send. I get a bad stomach when anxious but it's all related. Try to stay in the moment and not think about what happened 5 mins ago or is going to happen in 5 mins time. If you acknowledge your anxious and accept it instead of fighting against it you should have a nicer evening. I know this is easier said than done but this is how I cope xx

• Posted

My anxiety attacks also come more frequent in the evening, around bedtime. It doesn't matter if I've eaten an hour before bed or two hours. I can't find anything that triggers them.

But I have realised I feel a little claustrophobic in the dark so have started using a dim light to keep my bedroom light whilst I sleep.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.