Anxiey and pregnancy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice. My partner and I would like to start a family but I'm worried my anxiety will get worse during pregnancy. This is causing a great deal of anguish as I'm not getting any younger and worry that we are running out of time. Everyone keeps asking too which is making me more anxious. Does anyone have any advice/experiences they wouldn't mind sharing? Thanks

1 like, 5 replies

Report / Delete

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Jenny, everyone's anxiety is different but having suffered most of my life through depression and anxiety, I can honestly say that having a child is the greatest gift. It does not make your anxiety go away but does somehow seem to refocus on what is important in your life.  I honestly think you need to go for it and with the right support you will be fine. Hope this helps. 
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thanks, that's a lovely response. Im so worried my anxiety will get worse, 9 months seems a long time to be pregnant! Sometimes when I feel bad now I think if worse comes to worse I could ask for medication or have some alcohol (which I do occasionally do) but knowing that I can't do that in pregnancy worries me. I also have it in my head that I will get post natal depression :-(
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I don't want to put a damper on this thread,but my anxiety kicked in not long after my first child was born. I worried about not being around for my child,and dying before she knew who I was.Saying that,my sister-in-law has always been a bag of nerves and she breezed through her pregnancy.

Sandra is right, having kids is wonderful. Sometimes I just stare at them and think how empty my life would be without them in it. You will need support,I've got a 2 year old who drives me up the wall,I'd hate to think what I'd be like if I still suffered fron anxiety.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You may think you love your partner,parents or siblings more than anything on earth,but that love you feel for them is nothing compared to what you'll feel for your child. My siblings go on holiday a couple of times a year,they're out every weekend, they have a carefree life,but they're childless. Whilst I'm far from destitute,I can't blow money like they do,and I can't just pop out for a meal whenever the mood suits,due to my youngest being bloody menace,but I wouldn't swap positions for a lottery win. 

If I were in your position Jenny I'd go for it,because I know the joy children bring to your life,at the same time,kids aren't for everyone. My sister loves her lifestyle so much she's never considered having children. She admits that she's too selfish to have kids,but I don't agree,having children and refusing to change your lifestyle is far more selfish.

I'm like a broked record,I repeat the same advice to everyone.

1. Keep busy-I hated the weekends as I was off work.

2. Get active-I use to workout 5-7 days a week, not only did my anxiety ease whilst working out, the endorphins that I built up kept anxiety at bay for few more hours.

3. Stay away from Google- You've probably been told this countless times.It was no coincidence that my recovery began once I gave my computer away.

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up