Anxious

Posted , 3 users are following.

First week of 75 mg after upping from 25 to 50.  All of a sudden all the old fears are rearing their head.  Is this normal?  Anyone

Lynda

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hey Lynda, 

You'll find anxiety meds will ripple up old fears, everything tends to speed up mentally I've found when I was on meds in the past, have you ever tried meditation ? once I started meditating on a daily basis my anxiety reduced by at least %80 it takes work but its so worth the time ! there are many studies proving its benefits for anxiety, skipping will help massively as well, eating a plant based diet has helped me massively as well, I couldn't leave the house years ago, now I feel great, step into any scary situation. Don't let it vilify your life ! type into Youtube ( Alan Watts life has a voice ) that video has always stuck with me in dealing with anxiety. 

Regards Dane 

• Posted

Thanks Dane

I will listen to Alan Watts video.  I do meditate but not on a regular basis.  Glad to hear you are doing so well. What meds were you on?

lynda

• Posted

Hey Lynda smile 

Hope the Alan Watts video can give some insight, certainly did with me.

What meditation practises have you done ? I found mindfulness to be the best, to see results you need to be doing at least 45 minutes a day for 8 weeks, there are 10 day vispanna retreats also that I hear are great, I was on valium, mirtrazapine,citalopram, olanzapine, I would drink alcohol everyday as well, took heavy doses of ketamine to tranqulise the anxiety, then mdma to lift me up. Drugs can be great as a band aid for a short period of time when things are really hard. But once you face the music and accept things you'll blossom, arachidonic acid in meats/eggs/dairy have been shown to cause inflammation in the brain and ignite anxiety furiously, there's actually a few pub med studies showing that once you remove casein from schizophrenia patients diets they reverse the condition.

• Posted

Hi dane

i also do mindfulness. Listen to meditation tapes on u tube.  Find jack kornfield particularly helpful.  Go to with a group to a Buddist nun on Tuesday eve.  Just have to be more disciplined.

lynda

• Posted

Never heard of Jack Kornfield, will have to check his practises out. 

I skip sessions sometimes, its not easy being disciplined, when I move house in a few months I'm going to make myself a little meditation corner with candles etc, then try and stick to a daily routine. But at the start I was doing at least 3 hours a day, it gave me the tools to learn how to drop of thoughts, be present with the anxiety instead of it exploding out of control with sweating/shaking/heart pulpitations. You'll feel better in no time smile 

Dane x

• Posted

Lynda, I'm with Dane on this one, as the meds go up some side effects come back. I to favour sitting meditation, it takes a bit of practice but practise is what it is all about. I also write and try to help others which in turn helps me. You will be strong, you will smile and walk in the sun, you like the rest of us may carry your illness with you, but we will all use it as a source of strength 

David

• Posted

Hey David

how are you doing today?  Just had a crying spell but I think I need to take control again.  Meditation etc or that may be my lorazepam talking.

lynda

• Posted

Lynda,

crying is is a good way of releasing pent up emotion, the down side is it is quite emotionally tiring. If you can find a quiet place where you will not be disturbed, sit crossed legged with your back straight but shoulders relaxed, hands on your knees or in your lap, chin slightly down and imagine a golden thread from the base of your neck to the sky. This is the pose you will maintain, I want you to breath, regular breaths and count each one, let thoughts pass through your mind like fish in a river, if a thought stays as soon as you realise release it back into your mind river and watch it swim away, keep checking your posture, it may ache, you will slouch but hold the position, breath and clear your mind. If you lose count start again, meditation has no ultimate goal, meditation is the same now as it should be 10 years from now, you will get better but you should not work for this, you should just sit and breath, feel, smell, hear, taste notice them all but don't dwell on them. Be present and hold a gentle smile.

be strong my friend, you are amazing

David

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.