Anxious About Facing A Doctor/Counselor

Posted , 4 users are following.

So I recently started college and I have been facing to the best of my ability to describe it, crippling separation anxiety. Back home I have a fiancée, a loving family with eight siblings, and four dogs. Now under the instruction of my parents I have moved three hours away to university. Last semester I had a roommate, but I dont get along with new people very well and she moved out. Now i have this big space all to myself and I face terrible bouts of anxiety about anything and everything. When I went home for spring break I talked to my mom about this (she is a psychiatric nurse) and she suggested to me getting an emotional support dog. I mulled this over with my friends and fiancee and they were convinced that this was all a big conspiracy to be allowed to have a dog in the dorms. Im afraid that if I suggest the idea of an emotional support dog to my doctor she will think the same thing and what to put me on medication WHICH ME OR MY PARENTS REALLY DO NOT WANT. Help?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Rayne

Im sorry you are feeling so bad it must be tough being seperated from friends and family.

I dont think there is a conspracy,but I do think you have to do what you can to help yourself think out number one.

Perhaps talk to a nurse or a councellor at your school.

If this is making you ill you have to talk to your family and make them see you want to come home.

Stay Strongcry

• Posted

Hey there,

Can you see a counsellor at your school?

• Posted

I can, its just so nervewracking for me. I havent seen a psychiatrist or counselor since I did sessions as a kid for ADHD.
    • Posted

Can you get one soon, you might need it, right?
  • Posted

I'm surprised your mom, since she's a psychiatric nurse, hasn't suggested medication? If you can handle it without meds then I would. There are some places that allow dogs for people with psychiatric issues.
    • Posted

My mom is really against medication for things like this. She has also refused to put me on medication for my ADHD even after teachers begging her to do so
  • Posted

Why did your parents force you to go three hours away? Do they want you to break uo with your fiancé? Im confused why they even forced this. How old are you? Did you have anxiety before
    • Posted

We have a campus in our town, but they didn't have my major. So I went to the next closest university that happens to be three hours away. They love my fiancé, he just wasnt able to study with me yet because of job conflicts. Hopefully he will move up here next year. I'm 19 years old, this is my first year at university. I have always had anxiety in certain situations that I now know to avoid, like driving, but this is the first time that its been something thats just permeated my entire day.
    • Posted

Happily the semester is almost done and your fiance will be joining you next year so its just a couple of months to go. Its a good idea to be independent a bit as well. Your used to your support, and its still there but just not next to you. Does your college have relaxation classes. In the usa many if them have classes, just a couple where they do music relaxation and such for anxious students. Maybe look into that the special education building would have the most information about this.many kids with various learning issues, processing and such get anxious sinthey run these classes. No before you jump to conclusions you would not even know they have issues. Spcial ed covers a lot of labels. Im more then sure you are not alone in your situation.might be a ton easier to meet uo with a few oung through the same stuff, then you would have each other to build up. Theres an app you can use it to do proper breathing to calm a bit called bellybio. Feel better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.