Any advice please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been suffering for nearly a year now started with a chest infection and then a feeling of food being stuck in throat and gullet, regurgitating food and drinks all the time even with anti sickness tablets, lost over 3 stone, had manometry which showed 6 out of 10 swallows ok 4 no good, then out of the 6 at times 3 were weak, consultant hasn't given me the name of condition just said my gullet isn't working and gave me ondansetron to try and speed up transit in gullet as it is getting stuck, any advice anyone please. Thanks in advance 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    My advice, second opinion so you can get a diagnosis and find out how to treat your problem. I would see a specialist, like a gastroenterologist. 
    • Posted

      Hi that is from my specialist see him again in July so will perhaps have to see what he says but it’s like torture 
  • Posted

    You could try relaxation techniques as that can often help a bit.   The manometry test is the standard method of analysing where the problems are.   Personally I have not heard of ondansetron but the doctor must have thought it would be worth trying.

    You could try massaging your chest, making sure you are sitting upright, and even dropping down on to your heels to try and dislodge food that gets stuck, since it will be relying on gravity to progress.

    You do not say whether your specialist was a surgeon or no, but a surgical assessment would be beneficial to you, notwithstanding that they might say that trying this medication first is an option.

    You might also download A Patient's Guide to Achalasia from the website of the Oesophageal Patients Association under The Oesophagus and Achalasia.

    • Posted

      Thank you for the great advice and ondansetron is also called zofran don’t know if you know what that is? My consultant does surgery so I a going to ask if I can look at this as an option as my quality of life isn’t great at the moment,do you suffer with achalasia? 
  • Posted

    Pretty much everyone on here suffers from this crap.........

    We're all at different stages and yours sounds like Acalasia but you need to be reffered to an Upper GI specialist to get things moving.

    • Posted

      Thank you I just want to know if that’s what it is or not so I can begin to hopefully get some proper treatment 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.