Any advice please, been advised i need a hysterectomy and not sure what to expect

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 3 year of treatment, including esmya my gynecologist had decided I need a hysterectomy. My fibroid has grown to 18.5x16.5x 14 I look about 7 months pregnant and its beginning to effect my breathing. I am really scared. Not a good idea to look at images on web sites. Anyway, this may seem like a daft question, but what is the best thing to wear in hospital. I am going to have a vertical incision and not sure how pj's will effect my wound. I never wear skirts or dresses and practically live in jeans and leggings. Would this be ok post op. This may seem like really stupid questions, but I have no one to ask about such practicalities. Would love to hear about your experiences. Thankyou

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lesley

I'm 4 weeks post hysterectomy , I too had large fibroids and a 16cm cyst so hysterectomy was my choice as well as the medical advice.

I had a horizontal incision so can only give my perspective and it will be different for you.

In hospital I was given a hospital gown for the op and I changed it for a clean one next day by the nurses . I had light loose nightgowns and I bought the biggest knickers that my grandmother used to wear , they are cotton and the waist goes way over the scar and feel so comfortable.

Out of hospital I stayed in nightgowns the first week and wearing leggings and tops which seen to make my tummy feel more protected.

Take the time to accept you need to rest and let your body heal

Best wishes

Maria

• Posted

Thank you for your advice. Was actually in process of buying pjs when the sales assistant asked whether I would be better off with a night shirt. Hadn't even thought of that

will need to get dome big knickers😃

• Posted

Hi Maria

I was just wondering how you are feeling and how your recovery is going. Having my op28th August. Am feeling very nervous.

• Posted

I had an abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago - due to fibroids and nerve pain. In hospital - nightshirts are best, also some large pants - waistband above belly button, slip on slippers, some pads.  I took other stuff but didn't use a lot.  I've pretty much lived in loose joggers since. I was terrified; the first week I was very tentative about everything and dreaded getting in and out of bed - there are some good YouTube videos by an Australian physio showing how to get in/out of bed. I'm pretty much ok now - get the odd twinge which stalls you, then you move on. Also,start doing pelvic floor exercises now! Good luck, the waiting is the worst thing. 
    • Posted

Thanks for advice. Didn't even think about pelvic floor exercises. Will start today. How long were you in hospital?
    • Posted

Had op mid afternoon Thursday and went home Sunday early afternoon. I also asked my GP to refer me to women's health physio for after

Op - due to see them soon. They check pelvic floor, give advice and exercises. Also worth strengthening core muscles - I wasn't able to do a lot of that cos of the amount of pain I was experiencing.

• Posted

That's a really good idea. I actually have to see a physio next week about unrelated neck pain. Will have a word with het about getting a referral as we usually have to self refer at my gp. I'm hoping won't be in to long as I'm a single parent and she is only10. How are you feeling now?
    • Posted

Glad to hear you are over the worst. Have you noticed an improvement with nerve pain was it in back? Hip? Area
    • Posted

I'm feeling a lot better - the nerve pain still niggles but my GP did forewarn me that it could take a while for nerves to settle and I have to be patient...hysterectomy wise, it seems to be going ok - occasional tired afternoons but not bad at all.
    • Posted

After a few days I was pretty despondent as nerve pain still around and painkillers needed. However, I was actually sitting - hadn't done that since January! Talked to GP, who explained that nerves can take a while to settle, even once cause has gone - can be quite a few months - so I clung to this but was quite fed up at times.  When you're actually living it you don't see progress, but 8 weeks later I'm not taking any painkillers during the day ( I was on paracetamol and ibuprofen 3/4x a day) and I've begun reducing the pregabalin dose - slowly. So that's good.  So, in answer to your question, there has been a big improvement with the nerve pain, but I've come to accept I have to measure it in weeks rather than days.
    • Posted

Hi. I wad wondering how your recovery was going.

I'm having my op next friday (26th) and am starting to feel very panicky.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, sorry to hear that other treatments haven't worked. It is of course your decision and the gynaecologist can only recommend. Your fibroid is on the larger side and if esmya hasnt reduced it. How long did you take eysma though?  I had to take it for 6 months ( 2 courses) to get some results, but I know we are all different.   Was a myomectomy not an option in your case, where they just remove the fibroid? Presume you have discussed that. I hope some ladies on here can give you advice you want about the post op side of things.  Take care.

• Posted

Have taken 5 coursed of esmaya. Didn't shrink my fibroid. But it stayed the same size l. My gynaecologist wanted me to stay on it continually til I was 51, average age of menopause, expected my gp to continue giving me prescription for it. She wasn't licenced to do so as this id a bit experimental so in the three months I didn't take it,the fibroid grew quite a lot, hence my op.
  • Posted

Hi Lesley,

No question is a stupid question! I've not had a hysterectomy myself but I've had a vertical incision for my fibroid operation. My womb was full of fibroids and was the size of an 8 month pregnancy.

I would buy a nightie/long sleep t-shirt for the hospital stay as the ward staff will be checking your incision and you may have a catheter for the first day or so after the op. You will need full briefs or so-called granny knickers as they won't irritate your incision. After you get out anything elasticated is your friend. I wore leggings and read online about getting a pair of maternity jeans for the first couple of months after. That was a god send! Zips and rigid waistbands were a no no for those months.

I'm sure that others will come along with their responses and experiences. Good luck - you will be fine!

• Posted

Thankyou for your advice. I think I may have some maternity trousers from many years ago. Will have to dig them out. I have added all these items to my shopping list.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.