Any advice please, been advised i need a hysterectomy and not sure what to expect

Posted , 12 users are following.

After 3 year of treatment, including esmya my gynecologist had decided I need a hysterectomy. My fibroid has grown to 18.5x16.5x 14 I look about 7 months pregnant and its beginning to effect my breathing. I am really scared. Not a good idea to look at images on web sites. Anyway, this may seem like a daft question, but what is the best thing to wear in hospital. I am going to have a vertical incision and not sure how pj's will effect my wound. I never wear skirts or dresses and practically live in jeans and leggings. Would this be ok post op. This may seem like really stupid questions, but I have no one to ask about such practicalities. Would love to hear about your experiences. Thankyou

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

hi there Lesley, i had a total abdominal hysterectomy in january this year, i had everything removed and a vertical incision. Its right what the ladies are saying, the waiting is the worst. Defiantly loose jogging bottoms or leggings, nightie and peppermint tea for the wind pains, also take a cushion for the journey home to put between you and seat belt. If you have any other questions please dont hesitate to ask. Take care my lovely x
    • Posted

I like the idea of peppermint tea. Thankyou for all your suggestions. How long were you in hospital? The cushion os a good idea. Am still waiting for a date. But was told about 6-8 weeks. How long was it before you could cook and do the normal everyday stuff. My 10 year old is a bit concerned x
    • Posted

hi, i was in hospital 3 days hun. As for doing everyday things around the house it was about 6 weeks but that didnt include vacuuming or ironing. Its really important you give yourself chance to heal, you only have one chance to do so, if there are people willing to help you take them up on it, your going to need it. I was completely back to normal after 12 weeks. We are all different hun and we all heal differently. Hope this helps x
  • Posted

Hi Leslie, I haven't had a hysterectomy, but I had a surgery which opened me from breast bone to 4 inches below belly button (25 years ago). I recently had the lower portion below the belly button revised to look better, and I totally screwed up by going back to my low-rider jeans too soon, and now where the top button hit my scare is a keloid.  It still looks much better than it did, so I'm still happy, but it could have been wayyyyy better had I following instructions for longer... Here you go.

You will want to keep the area compressed, but without irritating or rubbing on the incision.  Get some (tight) spanx or tight fitting jogging compression shorts to hold in the area tightly, but without the waist band crossing the incision.  After the original bandages are removed, get Silicone Tape/bandage that helps scars heal and wear it every day.  Get vitamin-E oil and rub it on there every night. Keep it out of the sun for at least a year.  Only wear soft clothing over it, or bandage it if that can't be helped.

The recommendation was at least 3 months, but the longer you can stand to go the better.  Right now, half my revised scar looks fabulous! But the other half is about where it was before.  Bummer. 

• Posted

Great advice about pelvic floor excercises now, another one, as soon as you come out of the opetation, start circling your ankles, it helps your circulation. 

Also, if you have the strength/ money , get your house cleaned and tidy before you go in for surgery, it will allow you to stay relaxed while you rest.

my advice about getting back to normal, first week you have to rely on your nearest and dearest, your 10 year old can learn to put the washing on, load the dishwasher and cook simple meals. Teach them now ! By week 2 you will feel able to walk to the corner shop or cook a simple meal, but get friends and family to do everything else.

by week 3 I was able to do the ironing sitting down and walk about 30 mins. I am an overweight 53 year old and feel blessed that my body is mending and every day I feel stronger. I hope this gives you some inspiration that you will get out the other side, but if you are not used to asking for help, now is the time, before your op, schedule friends to come, visit and help you..

best wishes

maria

• Posted

Hi Lesley

Do you want a hysterectomy?  What are your symptoms,  is there another option?  Hold old are you?

I have a much smaller fibroid, only 2 cm, but numerous other fibroids but they want to remove this particular one,  which is being removed next month, called a myomectomy.  I am post menopausal but have been bleeding since October 2013 and the gynaecolgist wants to remove it to make sure its not cancerous and thinks it is causing the bleeding even though it is only small, i have numerous fibroids but this one apparently has a large blood supply so she said it would be best to remove it and send it for histology.

Let me know how you get on.  All best wishes.  Anne. 

• Posted

Hi. I am 47, and I tend to bleed a lot. My periods are lasting about 15 days and some days I can barely leave the house I have to change every half hour or so. I am anaemic and always tired. I am rather breathless and constantly need to go to loo. Other treatments have been mentioned, but not suitable cos of size and position. I hope everything goes well with your operation.

• Posted

Same here Lesley. I'm 46 have a posterior wall fibroid 12x13x7. I've had 6 months of Esmya a year ago, then 6 months of Zoladex, then now I'm on Esmya again nothing has reduced it. My physio keeps saying to me get it out (hers was cancer) but like you I cannot have a myomectomy because of the position & side & high risk of bowel adhension. My options are embolisation to see if it decreases enough to get a keyhole hysterectomy or open. I would prefer keyhole due to the shorter recovery time, but then there's probably alot longer on the operating table. One of my emplyees wifes had keyhole hysterectomy & they left some so had to go back in again another time. I am too overwieght & bloated, common in women who have suffered with fibroids for sometime & been on various hormone drugs. After having a C Section 8 years ago & being plagued with back problems ever since, I do fear open. So I'm delaying until I loose a bit more weight (having to be so disciplined) my very large fibroid doesnt have a big blood supply, the arteries are a bit smaller than they expected so embolisation has a 50/50 chance. So the decision is do I put myself through that knowing for the 50% chance of reduction knowing that they can embolise ovaries too by mistake & that there is a chance of infection resulting in open anyway. Or straight for an open hysterectomy. I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who has had a hysterectomy regarding back pain afterwards.
    • Posted

Hi Heather

I had a hysterectomy 4 weeks ago, I am overweight by about 5 stone but needed an open operation as I had a 15 cyst as well as fibroids, I am53 but was still pre-menopausal, had ovaries removed so expected full blown menopause once all out.

I too had had a Caesarian section 21 years ago and had suffered with back ache ever since.

The recovery has been slow but I have improved every day , back pain has gone, scar has healed nicely, I'm walking everyday to build up my strength now and no longer need any pain relief !

I haven't really had any hot flushes (touch wood) and am looking forward to getting on with my life .

I hope this gives you some positive thoughts, I went into this knowing it had to be done and concentrated on it being a means to a better quality of life for me.

Good luck with the decisions you make

Maria

• Posted

Lesley, hope you get things sorted soon.  It's not pleasant constantly bleeding and as you're having periods makes it all the worse.  Thanks for your best wishes with regard to my op, but i'm so unsure what to do for the best in case it's not the fibroid causing the problem and i'm still left with the problem, as i have been told i have an 'excessively' thin endometrium too and have read this can also cause post menopausal bleeding, so may have this op and still have a problem and then potentially have to have a hysterectomy.  It's really hard to know what to do for the best, but i have met so many women who have said having a hysterectomy was the best thing they ever did.

Sorry to hear you're having a bad time with anaemia and tiredness too.  All best wishes to get something sorted.

• Posted

Hi

It I really difficult knowing which options to chose. I got a date for my op, June 24th, next Friday. I have cancelled it for a number of reasons, need to get my head round the idea of losing my womb. I know at my age more children would have been a miracle, but I need to feel this is my choice. Also it will be much easier if its done during school holidays, my daughter can stay with my dad who is quite elderly and they can look after each other, also her godmother who had offered to help works in a school. Now have a date for August 26th, so at least I can do stuff during the brgining og

• Posted

Of hols

It also gives me a bit of time to lose some more weight and try to get ad healthy ad I can. Or maybe I am putting it off because i am really scared. Most people I have spoken to have also said best thing they have have done. Just out of curiosity, is there any one out there who had had theirs in the QE in Gateshead?

• Posted

Mine will be the RVI, how old are you Lesley? I'm 46 but still not really wanting a hysterectomy but time past time x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.