Any advice re a TKR pack?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Do I get a foot strap and a plastic stocking for the shower? What else is helpful and where do I get it? My TKR has been brought forward.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My dressings were waterproof, did not need anything for the shower? They gave me new dressings just in case they got dirty but was in the shower the day I got home. 
    • Posted

Thanks Joy- will wait and see at pre assessment stage
  • Posted

I was told to wait till staples were out and wound was dry before showering. I found a waterproof "sleeve" was useful. Got it in Boots for about £5, 

Good luck!

• Posted

I wore a plastic carrier bag in the shower! Able world do sell fancier, more expensive coverings. I would see what the hospital will lend you as regards anything else.

Best Wishes. x

• Posted

Usually showers and tub baths are not allowed until stitches/staples are removed and all signs of drainage has completely dried up. Until then sponge baths are the order of the day so I wouldn't see any need for a plastic wrap or cover of any kind. Others may have a different approach.
    • Posted

I said to the nurse the day I came out , what can I put over my leg to shower. She said you will be fine to have a shower straight away the dressings are completely waterproof. I didn't have a drain after my op. She took the dressing of to check the wound and put a new one on and gave me about five new ones in case. So I had a shower from day 4 everyday. 
    • Posted

I'll wait and see what they say- thanks- though I think I might get the sleeve if it's only £5 from Boots
  • Posted

I didn't have staples or stitches, my wound was glued. I had waterproof dressing and had a shower on day 2 of my op, in hospital. Once home had shower everyday and then once dressing was off was told to cover wound with cling film. I'm now 8 weeks post op and since about week 5 have used nothing. I'm sure the hospital will advise you anyway after surgery.

Good luck!! 😉

• Posted

I'm sure you're tight - I just want to get ahead of the game and an extra roll of cling film might be a good precaution! Thanks
  • Posted

I used a carrier bag and a dressing gown cord it's only until the wound is dry and dressing / staples out. Max three weeks post op. Just wash legs in a bowl or sit in shower with leg out! You will manage don't worry . A trolley on wheels is very useful for moving things around. A toilet frame to help you sit and stand. A shoe horn! A litter picker for picking things up. I needed these as I was on my own but otherwise get a Slave! You should be advised by an occupational therapist as everyone is different . My mum had an amazing raised toilet seat as she is 83.
    • Posted

All these are excellent suggestions. Many thanks. I do have a Slave but dont want to tire him out!
    • Posted

I did all the above and also did masses of batch cooking for freezer. I am so glad I did, cooking on crutches would be terrifying !

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.