Any advice re a TKR pack?

Posted , 16 users are following.

Do I get a foot strap and a plastic stocking for the shower? What else is helpful and where do I get it? My TKR has been brought forward.

0 likes, 45 replies

45 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I'm 4 weeks post-op and I used a  "leg lifter" for the first 2 weeks (my therapist ordered it for me) it helped me get in & out of bed, the shower and the car.  I was fortunate that my Dr. used glue and derma bond, no staples, so I was able to get my incision wet. I'm faithful doing my exercises but  I still have issues with stiffness, any suggestions?
    • Posted

Patience am ten weeks a lot less stiff and swollen. Just seen my gp who said she has watched the operation and it's very tough on the body so no wonder muscles are tense and stiff. Fluids and massage helps a bit. But time as they say is the healer
    • Posted

The leg lifter definitely sounds like a good idea- several people have mentioned it. Thanks a lot
    • Posted

If you can't find a leg lifter, the handle of a cane will work just as good!
  • Posted

My dressing is waterproof had shower in hospital physio showed me how to use my walking stick to lift leg 
    • Posted

Not sure how I'd do with the stick - think I like the sound of a leg lifter better. Thanks for the input
    • Posted

Hi remember these things will only be used for a very short time so think carefully before you buy.  I only used the toilet sat for about two weeks, never used the grabber snd never had a leg lifter.  Stick is useful for lifting leg or your hands.
    • Posted

Even two weeks struggling is a long time!    I think if you have something to hold on to to help pull yourself up, you can do without the toilet seat . .but if you haven't, it is quite difficult, and caused me to fall once at the beginning.  Also depends, I imagine, on how strong your good leg is for pushing up, as if you can't bend the operated one it's hard to get up from a low seat, and most loos are pretty low!  Unless they are very expensive, (and I don't know, because I didn't manage to get one. . .) I would think they were a good idea! Not really something you are likely to be able to sell on ebay though!
    • Posted

Around my part of the country there are groups that take all that kind of stuff, clean , sanitize, repair any defects that show, put on new rubber leg caps and redistribute to the needy. Our medicare system (over65) automatically furnishes a walker, combination commode/shower chair and of course, these stay with you permanently
    • Posted

That's good . .as  I had mine done through a private insurance, I don't really know what's available on the State system here. . you don't get anything if you use private medicine, of course!  I 
    • Posted

I'm going to a private hospital via the NHS and they seem to offer quite a lot. Time will tell. Keep up the good work. I've just signed on at the gym for 12 half hour sessions with a personal trainer to get my muscles working before the op. I'm normally a total couch potato but as they say, God helps those who help themselves!!
  • Posted

I had showers from day 2, did not need anything as dressing covered staples. After discharge the same shower every morning. After staples were removed there was no need to cover wound. Reading others status it goes to show the difference each area has. I used leg lifter for 3 plus weeks until I was able to lift it myself, this was for chair and bed. 

I purchased raised toilet seat, litter picker, hubby raised my armchair. Hope this helps. Good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks Louise - the litter picker is a novel idea and sound very practical. I know where I can borrow one
  • Posted

I as God no showers or baths till staples out and dry
    • Posted

Sorry just seem the predicted rubbish!  I was told no showers or baths still staples out and dry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.