Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi Everyone,

I have been low residue for several weeks now and am having trouble with pain still. I am up to 1 egg and toast, potatoes, soda crackers and spaghetti. I was doing turkey but that was causing too much pain. I tried mushy carrots and tinned fruit too to no avail. I am pretty much at my rope's end when it comes to food. I don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

PS I am lactose intollerent.

Thanks,

Julie

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julie,

Can you describe the type of pain you’re having?

I have had difficulty transitioning from a liquid to a soft diet. I’m so scared to eat anything and have lost 15 pounds since being diagnosed 3.5 weeks ago.

• Posted

That left side pain down really low that you just know is diverticulitis because you don't get that pain with anything else. Plus the cramps in the pelvic area front and center. When I first come off liquids I do white rice and potatoes(no skin) as I find these the easiest.

• Posted

I had the same thing happened went back to the doctor and had to go back on antibiotics for another 10 days. First round didn't get ride of all the infection.

• Posted

Hi Linda

I was back to the doctor well urgent consult and they ran my blood and said my white count was good. And I have seen my surgeon and his student poked around and I was tender so you know what they said. Have it out in 6-8 weeks. I said no not yet I want a second opinion. Still waiting on that. The pain isn't all the time just when I eat, go to the bathroom, bend over or exercise (walk any distance) and then just random times throughout the day. This is how its been every time. I just can't shake this one.

• Posted

Hi Julie

Is this your first episode? I don't blame you I would want a second opinion.

• Posted

Hi Linda,

This is my 4th diagnosed attack since the end of January 2017. Probably my 6th as I had two I managed without antibiotics.

• Posted

The usual rule of thumb is surgery is needed after 3 close attacks.  No one wants to live their life filled with pain and nausea.  Mainly though because each attack is causing damage to your colon and is deadly.  I had over 14 attacks in less than a year and half.  Just last week had a sigmoid colectomy and am so happy I did it.
  • Posted

Always remember everyone is different when it comes to the soft diet. One thing to remember is moderation in your food intake. I couldn't eat a turkey burger however finely  ground turkey was fine. Absolutely no lettuce of any kind as it's difficult to digest. Depending on your situation will rule what you can or cannot eat. I also had a blockage which inflamed my stomach,  esophagus so of course no tomatoes or tomato based sauces because of the acid content. I literally lived off of potatoes  (no skin), green beans, and carrots.  Never eat anything more than the size if your fist.

• Posted

I didn't know the don't eat more then the size of your fist. Thank you for that info.

Let us just say I eat way more then that.

• Posted

I could only eat about a third of usual. A few bites of turkey or chicken, a few bites of mashed potatoes,applesauce white toast, 1 scrambled egg.

To this day I can’t eat Jello lol

Kate

• Posted

I am sorry you are having trouble.  Looking at what you listed I think I would not do the crackers or the spaghetti.  Try some soft white bread like a roll.  Maybe chicken with only olive oil and salt and pepper in the crock pot or boil it.   Then you may could put the chicken in the roll.  That would give you some protein.  My Dr suggested that while I was still hurting.  Think very small amounts.  I am using a small plate so I remember.  It is hard to chew slow and well and eat small amounts but I think from all I have learned that it is very important -for life most likely.

You probably know this but no fiber at all at this stage.  No raw fruits or vegetables, no spices and no red meat, no onions and no garlic.  Drink plenty of water.  That is very important.

I was having trouble with constipation and the dietitian recommended magnesium.  I am taking the lowest dose and it has made a big difference.  I am also taking a 20 billion probiotic which you may need too.  Make sure you are resting and not trying to do too much until you heal a little more.  You may need to check with your Dr if you don't improve.    Hang in there!  It will eventually get better.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.