Any experience taking Citalopram on an as needed basis

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was on Citalopram for a period of about 10 months after experiencing a nervous breakdown, thru continued panic attacks, anxiety, and of course sleeping 1-2 hours a night for days/weeks. I weaned off over a period of 3 months and stopped at the end of April 2018. I've struggled with high annoyance, irritation and anger for some of the time over the 3 months I've been off. I thought it was a normal process of withdrawal, with other emotions being numbed(anger) while I was on it. Anyway, I would say with some minor setbacks, I was getting better. August 1st, my wife's mother died. Her dad died 12 years ago. I lost my mom 2 years ago. I think that is what pushed me towards my breakdown. We are both 39. With the loss of her mom, it has caused more struggles in our already struggling relationship. She has had, I would say minor addiction problems. A few days ago she took Tramadol pills (I think it's a narcotic) from the home of good friends of ours. This caused some issues over a few days. We had I fight, and I started getting shaky with different emotions. (Anyone else ever get that way?) Anyway it led to me feeling some overwhelming anxiety I haven't had in long time. And sup been a few days and my sleep is being affected. (Huge concern to me!!!) I was considering starting the 10 mg Citalopram again that I was on before, but I really don't want to, but I will. As it destroys my sex life. Can I take it on an as needed basis? Or if anyone else has some inciteful advice for me with my story it would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Please help!!! You guys have been very helpful to me and everyone else in this forum in the past. THANK YOU!!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You will cause havoc on your brain taking on and off basis..these medications are very serious meds.. talk to your phychiatrist..not your general practitioner about your issues..
  • Posted

You def sound like you need a little bit of help. Maybe see if the gp can prescribe an alternative a/d that may not affect your libido xxx
  • Posted

James, no do not take these on an as needed basis, you will end up in a worse state.  Am so sorry to hear about what you are going through and would definitely go with Lois and Marf's advice.

• Posted

Hey James,

I concur with my friends here. Talk with your Dr. about maybe a benzodiazepine will help you. Do not take celexa as needed. It builds up in your system over time. Talk with your Doctors. I’ll keep you in my prayers. 

Will😎

• Posted

Thank you again Will! And please pray, we all need lot's of those. Jesus is Lord!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.