Any help on how to cope with anxiety when it's at its highest?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hey all , only just joined 🙈 Didn't think forums would help but I'm at my whits end, graB yourselves a brew this could be a long read 🙈

I've suffered with anxiety (and ptsd)for around 3 and a half years now, it's inly the past year and half that it's really been at its highest , I've had therapy sessions that seemed to work but the minute I got signed off from them my anxiety has been at its worst! I'm fine at work but the minute I'm in my own home I panic , mostly on a night time, I've a constant fear that someone's going to break in , it's stupid I know , I hear a noise and I freeze , it's getting to the point where I get about 2-3 hours sleep per night, also when ever there's a little noise my little ones started jumping and asking straight away what it was , I don't want my anxiety rubbing off on little one sad

I'm thinking of going back to my gp and asking if there is anything else he can do for me it's starting to feel like it's taking over my life! I just don't want to be put on medication for it , I don't want my life to be lead by taking pills lol, does anyone on here find self coping works ?

Thanks for reading 😊

Many thanks

Angela x

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

If you've tried all the natural remedies and counseling and deep breathing exercises then you just may need medication to help you out a bit. Think about it..what you're doing isn't working, what do you have to lose? Trust me I never wanted to be on meds but I finally gave in and my life changed drastically.

• Posted

For the break in fears get a dog. They are fantastic for barking at any little thing and when anyone enters basically at all. A small dog is fine they are actually more yelpy but it will slow down that fear. Im actually very serious. I have a dog and if so much of a person walk by the front, on the sidewalk no less he barks. You womt worry anymore about that. An alarm system is always a good thing as well. I think you watched one too many scary shows.kids do learn coping mechanisms from their parents so working on your ocd is a great thing. And if you need meds for a little while so what. Tons of people take them short term too.then wean off.try not to make all these rules and predictions for yourself i think it sabtages you terribly. 
    • Posted

I was thinking about getting a dog but I don't have the time and it wouldn't be fair on the dog , if that makes sense , I don't even like walking to the shop on my own so I'd be no good taking a dog for a walk lol although the feeling of been safe and the company of a dog would be great x

• Posted

What you wrote about not taking walks with the dog I think is more of a reason to get a dog. I can't tell you how much it's changed my life and my families life. I know that sounds corny or even silly but the dog is one of the most loyal and sincere animals you could ever imagine and they will protect every member of their family like no other.  They also have dogs that don't really need much attention you would have to look up your personality with the breed they do have a lot of tests for that they do have dogs that really don't need that much attention I mean they all need love but not a whole lot of attention and don't really care for taking a ton of walks. I have over tonight end up buying one of those LOL but my dog perverse playing ball in the backyard so it's pretty  easy.  I do not know how much time you actually have available if it's really almost 0 then no I wouldn't get the pet but I just think it would be very life altering an extremely good way for a family. They do have doggy daycare too haha.well you can always get two little dogs that grow up together but make sure they like each other LOL and they will occupy each other.

• Posted

Not perverse.. prefers*
  • Posted

Hiya,

I have similar thought processes like you & it is a struggle. I'm yet to take meds I've been prescribed but I'm weary of taking them. I just wanted to say you're not alone & I hope you find the help or coping mechanism needed,

take caresmile

• Posted

I'm really wary 🙈 I don't want to become reliant on medication if that makes sense thanks for replying 😊😊

• Posted

I agree, get a dog. You have to take it out to walk it else the poor dog will sit there moping all night because it wanted a walk. Even a walk round the block, it'll build up to longer walks and in the end you won't feel the need to panic. It worked for me. Also there's an app called SAM it's has coping strategies on There it helped me through the worst times. All the best. 😘

• Posted

I do not have the exact same issue, but it is similar.  Little noises always startle me or wake me up.  It is more from my PTSD than anxiety, but the results are the same - anxiety, paranoia, etc...

If a dog is not an option what about a roomate?  Just an idea not sure of your situation and of course you would have to know them well. 

I actually put on music when I sleep,  not loud but soothing and the little noised are noticed, yet it is still soft enough to hear things like kids or something actually happening instead of little noises.

Best of luck,  oh motion reactive lighting can help reassure you but if you have animals or anything that can trigger them all the time they are counterproductive. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.