Any hormone experts? At my wits end. All points to hormones but don't know what to do.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I'm asking if anyone can look through all of this and maybe recognise something. I feel all of this points to something hormonal but I've read around and can't get anything that holds. 

I am 37 and don't have children. I've been having health issues for 2 years which has left me looking all over the place for help and going through lots of test for various possible diagnoses. The most recent thing that's been ruled out is endometriosis and this has left me at yet another brick wall. I'm hoping that posting this will maybe lead to some information or will direct me somewhere that could be helpful. 

My main symptom is fatigue- it's extreme and has left me unable to work. I'm not just talking lacking in energy, this is completely overwhelming fatigue that feels like I've been drugged. This started 2 years ago. The first year was on and off but it's been fairly constant this past 12 months. My other main symptom is bloating.It's also been around for 2 years and started gradually but got to a daily occurence more recently. This bloating is extreme- I go from a slim size 6 to looking like I am 7 months pregnant. It's my whole abdominal area and is painful. When it happens, I become extremely sleepy and cannot function (or wear clothes!).

In addition to this, I have also had skin problems, at first I had a blister type rash on my face which didn't go away but this stopped after 8 months and instead I got rashed on my neck, chest and abdomen for up to an hour at a time, usually in the morning and just before bed. I have also had a twitch in my eye over this whole time which seems to relate to how fatigued I feel. I have had breast tenderness and swollen and painful lymph nodes under my arms (and neck if I'm really bad). 

My blood tests haven't brought up anything major. My white blood count has often been low over this time, calcium was low but nothing that alerted the docs.

In Dec, 2 fibroids were found- both outside my uterus- 3cm and 6cm. 

Periods aren't problematic- pain leading up to them. They seem to stop/start where they are heavy for a short time them then stop and only last about 2 days. Mid cycle is horrific- extreme pain on both sides and a general feeling of restlessness.

7 weeks ago I started the conraceptive pill (Rigevidon) and I haven't had any bloating since or any rashes and my under arm/breast tenderness has gone. This was very surprising to me. I had used the pill in my teens/early 20s but had terrible side effects so alsways used other methods but I only had positive effects from this. I also feel a bit more 'on the level' emotionally. I was still feeling the fatigue but it was improving a little. 

I've tried many supplements/alternative menthods over the 2 years and 3 weeks ago I tried Floravital (a natural iron supplement but also has other vitamins and minerals, all plant derived) and the effect of this has been life changing. For the first time my energy is really increasing and my eye twitch has massively reduced to just been an infrequent thing (hallelujah!).

So, all of this to me pointed to something being off with my hormones plus a vitamin/mineral definciency. But I went to the GP today and was told it doesn't point to anything...it's just working to keep with it. But I don't want to be on the pill, I want to start a family but don't feel well enough yet and I don't want to take synthetic hormones- I worry being on the pill will ultimately just lead to another problem. 

I have read a bit about estrogen dominance and I did wonder if maybe my progesterone was off. I have been very stressed over the past few years (my whole life really) and I read cortisol can eat up the progesterone causing too much estrogen. I was about to try some progesterone cream but I am scared to mess around when I don't really know what is happening. 

Does anyone have any help?? 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi... You poor thing. Sounds like youve been through the mill. I was gonna say sounds a bit like IBS. My friend suffers with some of the same symptoms and has been diagnosed with that. If the pill has helped with bloating then can't be that.

What tests have you had? X

• Posted

I have had IBS mentioned by a few Dr's but it doesn't seem to explain it all to me and, like you say why the pill has helped. I've followed all the treatment advice for IBS (I mediate daily, manage stress, followed FODMAPS diet etc but none of that helped my symptoms)

In terms of what I've been tested for, from what I can remember... Coeliac disease, Crohns, hiv, SIBO, lactose intolerance, thyroid function. I had an ultrasound that showed fibroids but ruled out ovarian cancer as I had rising ca125 levels. The ultrasound also said I had a bulky retroverted uterus. I had an endoscopy of my stomach which all looked healthy and my laparoscopy only showed the fibroids. I've had so many blood tests too but nothing has pointed to anything helpful...so frustrating!

• Posted

That's a lot of tests etc for them to still not know.... Good luck. I'm not surprised you're frustrated😘. Xx
    • Posted

I've had simillar tests to you with a few more thrown in I have a big posterior wall fibroid I don't think its helping me with alot of my issues. Sitting in my pelvis like a Melon body isnt built for it to be there & mines been sitting there getting bigger for well over 10 years that Ive known & I'm feeling worse & worse.

• Posted

Hey BettyBetter - If you aren't sure about experimenting with progesterone by yourself, if you can, request a hormone test from your doctor or find a holistic doctor.  That's the best way to find out if you have a hormone imbalance.

I haven't had anything close to the symptoms that you've had but I do use a natural Progesterone cream during the 2nd half of my cycle to deal with some issues that I'm having.

• Posted

& Good Luck to you.

• Posted

Thank you!

It was a natural progesterone cream I was looking at trying. I'm just a bit scared after reading a few negative things but what I've found has been mostly positive.

I've just had no luck with my doctors at all. I'm in the UK so it's a bit harder to request tests but I might go back and see if I get anywhere.

Have you had any problems with the progesterone cream?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.