Any ideas? 7 surgeries and 2 manipulations...

Posted , 1 user is following.

A Google search led me to this site. Just thought I'd see how many have had multiple manipulations? I had my tkr in July of 2016. I had previously had four other surgeries including 2 scopes and 2 fully opened operations. A Bi-compartmental replacement and an ACI procedure. (Autologous chondrocyte implantation) I knew something wasn't right within a day or two after the tkr as I couldn't straighten my leg. Doctor said it was typical and with therapy it would improve. It didn't. I had an inpatient mua in October and I felt better for a day or two. That was about it. Within two weeks at the end of pt stretching, the straightest the therapist could get me with a lot of force was 17 degrees. I had a scope in January where the doctor said he removed a lot of scar tissue. Again, I only had improvement for a short time. At this point, my leg feels like it's fairly straight, or I've gotten use to it. I can only bend it to about 85-90 degrees though. I had a second manipulation on Thursday. Felt good for about a day, but I can tell that it's already stiffening up. I had physical therapy a few hours after the manipulation and it looked promising. By the time I had therapy on Friday I was already considerably more limited. I'm wondering if there's anyone else out there that has had similar issues and if there are any recommendations. While searching Google, it would appear that the condition is arthrofibrosis. There's only a handful of doctors in the US that specialize in it and of course none of them are anywhere near me. Ideas?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Is the knee very tight and swollen? It might improve when that lessens?
    • Posted

It's a bit swolen and tight, but that's been pretty common over the past year. I'm hopeful that I'll get some improvement, but I think that this is likely as good as it's going to get at this point. My surgeon said that there's nothing else that can be done at this point. He said that if another doctor tells me they can do something that they're lying to me. He said they'd likely me open me up and remove everything and start over which wasn't the answer. I'm at the point where I'm starting to think that may just be the answer.

• Posted

Oh er...does it function ok, for ordinary daily life? Cannot think it good to have to start

All over unless vital? July 2016 is under a year ago...and when swelling

Eventually decreases who know? But seems hasty to me to redo? I thought

It to be two years for full healing process post TKR? Is it stopping you walking?

• Posted

I have a significant limp. I have to walk down the stairs one step at a time. I'm in fairly constant pain. It doesn't take much activity to aggravate it. It definitely impacts my daily life. I'm unable to jog, run, play basketball. I can't even golf. It's rough getting in and out of my car. I can't bend it enough to sit in bleachers at my kid's events.

So, yeah. It's effected my daily life.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.