Any Kind of Prostate Procedure

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hello all I would like to give you some information.  I had a Urolift done April of 2015.  All was fine had a good flo.     I also have a stricture in the urethra that I have check ever couple of months.    ...In December it was time to have it checked but had a bladder and prostate infection.  Was on Ciprofloxacn 500mg 2X a day for a month.  Went back in january and had a scope done.       The stricture was fine but one of the  implant from the urolift came loose because my prostate got smaller.  So I had to have it replaced.  I had it done on Feb 19 there was alot of damage to the prostate and had to have it repair.  The line was cutting into it. I woke up and got dress and talked to my doctor which I trust.  He put in a catheter in because he was playing it safe and that was no problem.  Not a fan of them but that's the way it is.  Well it was nothing like.the fist time my erine was cleared by the night of the procedure.  After 4 days this time my urine was still drak red.  Had the catheter removed the fifth day and by the next morning I was clear.  Also I was off my blood thinner like by doctor said and started up 2 days after this surgery.  I am on Eliquis 5MG 2 times a day.  Was great had good flo until Sunday.  I went to bed at 1AM and got up to go to the bathroom at 5AM.  I sat down to pee and started when I felt a pop or a flush.  Did not think it was anything until I got up to flush.  The whole bowl was full of blood.  I called the doctor and got the urologist on call talk to her and she said to drink alot of water to flush it out.  Well I drink 1 bottle of water and had to go to the bathroom.  I stood there was a little while and could not go so I pushed and all that came out was blood so I drink another bottle of water.  That is when my problem started.  I was have bladder spasms and let me tell you they hurt like hell.  I called a friend of mine to take me to the hospital and was there in about 10 minutes.I had to wait 45 minutes before they took me into the room.  I was in alot of pain.  I feel for anyone that can't pee.  I know how it feel now.  The nurse came and the doctor told me that they would have to put a catheter in and flush by bladder.  I told go right a head.  Do what you have do.  She was a great nurse you got it in with very little trouble.  It did hurt a little but not as bad as the bladder spasm.  She flushed it for about 10 minutes.  Got alot of clogs out and I was still bleeding.  The urologist called and she told him and they had to do emergency exporatory surgery to see why I was still bleeding.  He just happen to be my urologist partner.  So I felt ok with that.  Well he found out that I had a inflamed bladder and 2 blood clogs by the prostate that were ready to pop.  He cauterize them.  I had to have a 24 hours. flush.  Had 6000CC of sayline ever 2 hours.  I was told that if I would not have not taking my eliquis the clogs would have never gotten that big and my body would have taking care of them.  I had the catheter talking out today and came home.  I have gone to the bathroom with there is no problem and no pain or burning at all. I was told not to take my blood thinner for 2 weeks and talk with my heart doctor.I feel great glad to be home. So men please talk with your doctor if your on any kind of blood thinner and your having any procedure.  I hate to see anyone else go through what I had to go through.  It could have been much worst but I was lucky.  Take care and good health to all...Ken         

3 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well, I was horror-struck a few lines down.  ANd then, when I was reading with crossed legs and thinking, "OW! OW! OW!" you write: "That is when my problem started."  Oh, my!  :-P   A question here:  do you know how an implant can fail, if the prostate shrinks?  My understanding is, that the string is clipped and the implants are clipped to the string.  Is it certain, that the implant failed, as in fell off because the prostate shank?  I'm wondering whether anything else could ahve caused that failure.  Any additional info would be appreciated!
    • Posted

My urologist thinks it was because of my prostate shrinking but don't know why. But he had to tighting the other 3 while he was in there..  I think he told me it was the last one he put in that came lose and got stuck in the urethra.  Thats is why is was zawing.  He notify the company about it and they told him that they will do some research.  Thanks   Ken
  • Posted

Thanks a lot for the info, Kenneth.  I'm sorry you had to go through all of that.  I've had retention 5 times and that's probably the worst times of my life waiting to get to the emergency room to be catheterized!

Hope things stay stable for you.

• Posted

I feel your pain.  That was the worst thing I have even went through.  Ken
  • Posted

Oh wow! kenneth:  THAT REALLY HURT just listening to you

It hurt while you were explaining it.  I am also on blood thinners and if any surgery is done, I have to be taken off the med.  I once had a bad kidney stone, and when I tried to pee, blood came out out.  Scared me as I didn't know what was going on and I knew it was bad.  A scan was taken and not too soon after I was having surgery.  I was told one, the pain is so bad, that you can compare it to as a woman having a baby.  Yeowch.  Mine was not just a simple stone but a complex one stuck in my urethra by a barb or litterally hooked.  There was no other way to get it out.  Afterward, my penis was sooo sore and burned like hell to pee.  Over a couple of days, the burning lessened and no more red discharge.  The rehab was rather quick and got out of bed that evening and really didnt hurt much but only by peeing.  That 45 min. wait in the ER wasn't bad.  One time I had to wait almost 8 hours.  I guess the triage nurse didn't feel it was that bad.  It was for an infected tooth that hurt like hell, ran a temp and my jaw was so swollen.  First I was asked why I didn't call a dentist.  I told the nurse that I just don't go to any old dentist as one almost killed me by their stupidity.  I knew the ER couldn't really do anything other than give me antibiotics and pain meds until I saw a real dentist.  In case of what I had, nothing could be done anyway  until the infection and swelling goes down.  I guess they thought it was no real emergency.  I am really glad that what you had was taken care of right away and if not attended to get this under control, you could have run into serious problems.  Take care

mel

• Posted

Thank you Mel.  That pain was so bad. Even if I moved my leg it caused a spasm.  They were not that busy but had no bed and they know what they had to do.  I stopped my 2 pills 3 days before  like my doctor said but didn't tell me to wait to restart them.  Never again.  I'm going to wait until I talk with my doctor  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Kenneth, Sorry to hear you have had such a bad time, but I can sympathise with you as have been on Blood Thinners now for nearly 2 years and have to stop for 3 days before any procedure. My problems started with Sepsis following a Prostate Biopsy and for the last 18 months have had urine problems, blocked catheters, bleeding from anus & penis, very painful testicles, it never ends. I seem to be running out of Antibiotics that work. Have had a TURP which showed no Cancer but infection of the Prostate. So fed up I would be quite happy now to have the Prostate removed if it would rid me of infection and pain. Am investigating Hyperbaric treatment as I believe that can purge infections out of your body and grow new stem cells.   Hope life improves for you and other sufferers because pains in this area are 10 times worse than Heart Attacks & Pulmonary Embolisms etc.

David

• Posted

Thank you David.  I never want to go through that again.  The bladder spasms were the pits.  I would rather have my gallbladder out agin.  Doing great .  Not going to take the blood thinner for 2 weeks.  Then I will see what my heart dr will tell me.  Good luck  Ken
  • Posted

Hi Ken my old buddy;  We have written each other many times.  As you know I have had a "PAE" and a "UROLIFT".  So when I read your post that really put the fear of God in my immediatley.  Iam going to see my Urologist on monday the 7th of March. Different reason though as I still continue getting up 4 times per night to pee. I have often wondered about these "implants" and the "string" as you call them.  Usually the "problem" is the prostate "continues to grow" NOT shrink.  Hope you are on the mend my friend.   Keep in Touch.   Your Pal;  ChuckP
    • Posted

Thanks Chuck  I will e-mail you later but doing well  Ken
    • Posted

Chuck, did you ever check to see what condition the condition of your bladder is in?  My limited experience, post-Urolift (3 months ago), is that my bladder is likely permanently stretched stretched from incomplete emptying for many years.  At day's end it retains 400-600 cc of the golden liquid.  My solution has been to cath before retiring.  The result is I never have to get up to pee at night; a blessing at my age (66)!  I cathed for 15 months, before I found then had the Urolift, so with more than 2,000 times cathing under my belt, it doesn't bother me.  A possible solution for you?  I realize, your mileage may vary!  :-)
    • Posted

Hi Cartoonman;  I have an appmt with a new Urologist on monday the 7th and he does the "Urolift".  Iam going to ask him about doing a "Uro Dynamics Test" which is suppose to figure out what is really going on.  I'll keep you posted.  Thank You my friend.  Iam thinking but probably am completely wrong that my implants are not in the correct position from my Urolift.  But like I said Iam probably wrong on that and Iam just grasping at straws as my wife says.
    • Posted

Well, if you are an intuitive sort, you may be onto something more than grasping at straws!  :-)  Here in the US, there is a wide range of Urolifters. I did not let my uro-guy do mine, as he is BRAND-NEW to the procedure.  Instead, I flew to Salt Lake (3,000 km) to have it done by the fellow who did the US trials before it was approved 2 years ago.  He admitted that my case was dicey, and I had the max number of implants (6).  Given the situation, I'm glad I went with him!  My prostate was on the small size (39 g), but no medial lobe.  

You might run the cath-before-bed scenario past him, if the idea of cathing doesn't trouble you....

Good luck on Monday!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.