Any of you have a Monofocal and Symfony IOL on one eye each?

Posted , 15 users are following.

Do any of you have a monofocal IOL and a symfony IOL each on one eye?

Are you able to see a big difference between the two?  like when you close one eye or the other

Do they both work will together binocularly?  Does it cancel each other's weaknesses and bring out each of their strengths?

Did you wish you could have just gone with one type of IOL for both eyes? Which of the two would you rather have?

2 likes, 30 replies

30 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have side shadows on both my eyes after 2 months of surgery 
    • Posted

You are speaking of a type of space as if you had contact lenses on your eyes which are not quite fitted correctly, if that's what you have , so do I and it's one of a number of issues I'm experiencing two months after surgery. I spoke to my doctor about this issue as well, if it's what you are experiencing let me know and i will share with you what these doctors told me about it .

• Posted

How about none of the above.
  • Posted

I have a monofocal lens in the left eye for reading and a Symfony toric lens in my right eye for far (and intermediate) distance. That is, I use monovision. I am very happy regarding the day vision with that combination, but don't like the night vision issues with the Symfony lens.

However, if both the lenses were set for distance, the dominant lens would probably win out regarding seeing the night vision effects.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  Is your dominate eye your right eye?  

Do you see a difference between the two in terms of optical clarity and contrast sensitivity.

In terms of the night vision, is it pretty much the halos, starburst, glare?

• Posted

Yes. My right eye is dominant.

My main night vision issue with the Symfony lens is the halos or the multiple circles around lights at night.

The differences in the vision of my 2 eyes can't be directly compared because those see best at different distances. Also, the differences, if any in contrast, are more due to differences in the eyes themselves than the lenses. Also, my monofocal lens was installed 20 years back so that it is not representative of the current-technology monofocal lenses.

• Posted

I have symfony lens in my right eye and I have all the night vision issues like starbursts,halos and reduction in contrast sensitivity.My left eye is not operated on yet .I am able to drive at night time with the lens popped out of my glasses in the right eye.

I am planning to get monofocal iol in my left eye set for distance vision in 2 weeks.Will I be able to drive at night time without any difficulty.

My right eye is the dominant eye.

• Posted

Did you get this done? if so, how do you like it?

• Posted

Yes, that's what I chose. Still a little early to answer all of your questions, less than 2 weeks since receiving the Symfony Toric IOL in my (non-dominant) Right eye, and 4 months ago for the monofocal in my (dominant) Left eye. Because I didn't want to lose any near vision, I chose to set the dominant Left eye (with monofocal IOL) for slight myopia (-.5) and the non-dominant Right eye for slightly more myopia (about -1D). Because of costs, I didn't get the Toric lens in the Left eye, so have some remaining astigmatism (1.25). I knew I would need a weak prescription for night time driving. This may make my case somewhat unusual.

Yes, the eyes work well together. The dominant Left eye takes over at distance (day driving) very well. I've only driven at dusk 3 times and once at dark. The left (monofocal) eye definitely takes precedence and helps to mitigate the pronounced halos & starbursts in the Symfony eye. I didn't see the concentric circles at first, but now see them around braking tail lights. They don't bother me in the least, so faint.

As others on this site have been fortunate to have the halos & starbursts go away after 6 weeks, I expect the same. I have very small halos remaining with the Left eye when looking at headlights, but this is no problem for me. My doc acknowledged that for some people the starbursts never go away, but said that for most of their patients they go away within 3 to 6 months. IF I had to contend with them in both eyes, I think I would be unhappy.

The blue LED lights are still too much for me at night, so soon after the 2nd surgery. I'm using sunglasses with turquoise lenses for night driving to help with that. It was okay with the Left eye after 4 months, but the Right eye can't handle that yet.

The 2 eyes are still adjusting at intermediate (computer) distance. I expect them to adjust well over the next few weeks as I had good luck with a contact lens in the Right eye for the 4 month interim.

At near (iPhone) distance, they are about equal, with the Right taking slight dominance.

I am fortunate that my Left eye has exceptionally good vision at all distances with just the monofocal lens (set for -.5). I'm seeing 20/20 or 20/25 at distance and 20/20 or 20/16 at near. This may not be true for most people.

• Posted

Thank you for the follow-up, as I'm interested in possibly going the same route as you. Good to know that you're doing okay. (thumbs up).

• Posted

Hi John56935,

Sorry for the delayed response. Your private message ended up in my spam folder. Probably best to just post in the public forum, as your questions and the response may help others in the future. And I can't find you here from the private message - no link to your profile in the PM.:)

Yes, I am VERY glad I got this combination! The monofocal eye definitely compensates for the night vision artifacts in the Symfony eye already, but I won't know how complete that compensation is for another few months, after healing is complete. Important to note that I purposely chose the monofocal IOL for better distance in the Dominant eye.

The starbursts are beginning to subside for me already in the Symfony eye. And as I posted, the concentric circles are so faint they don't bother me at all, actually kinda cool.:) But I wouldn't want that in both eyes!

You asked, "How could I have such good close vision with just a monofocal?"

Remember, I set the left (dominant) eye for minus .5D, very slightly myopic. And I have some remaining astigmatism which my doctor said helps with the near vision. It may also have to do with being severely nearsighted before surgery. I think the axial length for extreme myopes is longer, which may have something to do with how much depth of field there is, not sure.

• Posted

I have a monofocal IOL in my right and a Symfony in my left. I dislike the Symfony -- 2 years and the starbursts are worse (need yag, and am scheduled soon). The regular IOL tamps them down enough to drive. The Symfony always feels a bit weird, but I can see my phone, computer, etc. without readers, but usually wear them for anything more than a few minutes of reading to reduce strain. I cannot and never have been able to read a novel without readers, even with bright light - it's too difficult -- contrary to what I was told when I chose the Symfony.

• Posted

I had symfony iol in my right eye in September and just had monofocal iol in my right eye on Nov 5th.Last night I went for a drive for the first time and the headlights are very bothersome for both eyes..much more in the symfony eye.

I am hoping my left eye will get better over time.

I have to decide soon if I want to do a lens exchange to a monofocal lens in my right eye.

My daytime vision is good at all distances with this combination.

I cannot make up my mind.I do quite a bit of night time driving.

• Posted

Coop,

What did you decide to you about your symfony lens eye? Did you keep it or exchange it for Monofocal?

I am in the same position.

Thanks

• Posted

I think you meant to ask j01693?

I haven't had the surgery yet. However since then, I had 3 eye doctors recommend me not to do symfony anymore.. Turns out I have a retina issue so they only recommend a monofocal.

Glad my question seemed to help other people tho.

Good luck everyone 😃

• Posted

Hi mady301

I have decided to keep my Symphony IOL in my right eye because the vision is very good during daytime.I got a pair of night vision glasses and the halos and starbursts don't seem to bother me as much now.

Give it some time and see if it gets better for you..it is getting used to it..it does not get better.Good Luck.

J01693

• Posted

What type of night vision glasses do you have?

• Posted

Thanks for the update. I too have gotten used to the night visions. with the Symfony in my right eye, at least you can direct your gaze to the right side of the road away from oncoming traffic (at least in the US). I also see glows and halos around all light sources, even during the day, which is also disturbing.I will keep it, but still afraid to proceed with Symfony for my left eye. I do not think I could tolerate both eyes like this.

• Posted

Hi Mady:)

I agree, I wouldn't want the Symfony in both eyes. It's definitely worth considering having a monofocal lens in one eye and Symfony in the other. I'm so glad I did!

But I'm pretty sure it matters which eye is dominant. If you have the monofocal lens in the dominant eye (set for distance, if doing mini-monovision), it balances out the halos/circles in the non-dominant Symfony eye. I'm eight months post-op on the dominant eye monofocal and 4 months post-op on the Symfony. eye The Symfony night vision artifacts are barely noticeable now.

• Posted

Hello seeherenow,

Thanks for the response.

I am waiting another month as per my Dr. recommendations, if no improvement will go with the night vision issues, will go with monofocal in my left eye. I am nearsighted, -4.5 in both eyes. What was you vision prior to the cataract surgeries.

• Posted

My left eye is (was) dominant, so that would be better then if I get the monofocal for left eye. Dr. did my right eye first because it was a lot worse than the left. I would set my left eye with monofocal for distance, but I am moderately nearsighted (-4.5). Hoping this combo will work well for me.I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. it is helpful to hear from others. I personally have not meet anyone with symfony in both eyes. Only met one lady who had 1 each and she was doing very well.

My Dr. said he would choose the symfony for himself, which is why I decided to try it for my first eye.

• Posted

Yes, Mady, that's what I did and I'm happy with the result. I was extremely myopic, -8D before cataracts. I believe the degree of your nearsightedness is only relevant in relation to the axial length of your eye and resulting depth of field with the monofocal lens. Having the Symfony in the non-dominant eye takes care of any depth of field issues. Having great distance and no halos etc in the dominant eye is awesome! 😃 Best wishes to you!

• Posted

Thanks so much for the reply. That is very helpful. Unless my night vision improves dramatically in next 4 weeks, I will proceed with monofocal in my left eye.

Again thank you for your feedback!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.