Any other Cementless TKR out there?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am the 2nd patient that my ortho has done with a cementless implant because I am allergic to the bone cement. He has done over 4,000 TKR. Apparently, the recovery is more painful because my bone has to fill in the implant, like the bone cement.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Bone can take a while for calcification to take place, and yours needs to fill a bigger cavity, maybe up to a year and then longer to remodel it to fit comfortably into the cup.

So is your pain bad and how long ago did you have it done?? and your age and do you smoke,drink etc these can have an impact on it as well

• Posted

When a bone breaks the body begins instantly to heal it, when you have a hip replacement its exactly the same process, the new joint is fitted into your femur and it builds the new bone around it to make it stable, the weight bearing process makes it create new bone as well, glueing it just makes it stable quicker, my explanation perhaps isn't very clear but near enough

• Posted

Pain can be bad at times. I take Narco 7.5/ 325 (?) now every 8 hr....more on PT days. Plus a muscle relaxant every 6-10 hrs.and Celebrex now once a day.
    • Posted

You are well early to be pain free, its only just over 5 weeks and that's only a short time after hip replacement, if you weren't in a lot of pain can I ask why they operated, did you try other options first like injections, or was it a fall ?

• Posted

Mine was a total L. knee replacement. I had 2 torn meniscus, 2002 & 2003. I had 8 Synvisc One injections, starting in 2009 and one cortisone injection this past Sept. 2, 2016. I had exhausted my options. The cortisone injection was working but it was just a matter of time.

• Posted

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought hip and now realise knee, same though still needs to heal and knee is a much bigger op and very painful while healing, use ice and always raise it to stop swelling
    • Posted

I was told by my surgeon, that they have to use the cement , tomorrow is my surgery for a revision of a total knee and he is going to put rods in femor and tibia to insure stability.  Good Luck to you
    • Posted

Thank you i will let you know how much better my knee with feel, thinking positive
  • Posted

Sorry to say I did! I had to have 2 manipulations under GA which probably didn't help and the whole thing had to be replaced 15 months later as it had slipped and twisted. I thought bone cement was totally inert and that's why it is used. I may have overdone the physio as well, so do what you're told, but don't do more than recommended, good luck 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.