Any positive help needed

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, I started feeling extremely anxious one day and knew almost immediately that this triggered me into high anxiety and severe depression. Iv had a previous episode over two yrs ago and was on citalopram but managed to return 100% to my normal self symptom free. So I returned to the drs and was started bck on citalopram. The initial side effects were horrendous but by week 3/4 my anxiety levels decreased drastically and my appetite returned. For about 7 days I felt bit better but then I came crashing down, sobbing, exhausted and terrified that im not going to get better. Went to drs and decision was made to phase me into sertraline 100mg. My fear is that I'm OCD about how I feel and never getting better please can anyone advise. I'm trying take each day as it comes but it's soo hard wen u don't know how ur going to feel fr one day to the nxt. I feel mad is this normal am I making things worse by obsessing. I can't stop!

1 like, 13 replies

Report / Delete

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi there you sound like me your fighting the fight i have health anxietys when im not well i imagine evry thing and it makes me bad and sets me of again i belong to anxiety centre on line for a small fee its done me the world of good give it a go it may just be what your wanting good luck they call the owner jim let me know how you go on
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Anxiety centre .com run by jim folk
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

You arnt OCD or obsessing don't worry smile I know it's cliche and you won't believe it now but it will get better. I got to a point where I was so frustrated with fluox not working I overdosed and now am on ssertraline as well. Stick with it. I've been battling with the whole "I'll never get better" "I'm not going to get better" "what if it comes back" "what if it gets worse" these are terrifying thoughts but trust me it does get better I promise. Maybe ask your doctor about a medication for anxiety that isn't an anti depressant and learn techniques for calming yourself when you get anxious these really do help. Ones that help me are to breath. A couple of my favourite songs say "breath in, exhale" and I sing them in my head and do what they say. Also another good thing to stop a panic attack or get yourself to chill is go somewhere and do ten jumping jacks. Hope this helped. Remember it WILL get better
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for ur comments that has made me feel like it's not me who's keeping this going. Everyone seems to say STOP thinking about it. But I can't. I'm functioning but just reached that point where I feel I'm never going to stop obsessing over it and so I'm keeping myself in this living hell.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know how you feel everything in my life had a way of making me think about it and that it'll never end and I found the best thing to do is stay occupied, play video games, read, exercise, watch a movie, watch tv, do anything and I know it's hard to do those things but just picking a book out one day is a massive step forward and you should be proud of yourself for doing that then slowy every day read a bit more and a bit more nd you would have read the whole thing and then you can think good on me I did it I'm proud of myself for doing something and enjoying it and proud of myself for keeping my mind of the bad stuff. You have to keep saying to yourself i did really good or I'm okay. Don't focus on getting better cos then you'll just think about getting worse. Focus on I did this today and that is good. I'm okay today. I'm okay right now. I just did something go me. Something just made me happy that's fantastic. Pay yourself on the back as much as possible
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you for ur positive words it's like I heard someone say. There's a glass wall between me and the world. That really is how I feel. I'm trying to keep going there's no alternative. R my fears normal? 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Ask your doctor about quetiapin. I'm on sertraline 150mg and varieing doses of quetiapin which keeps me calm and feeling in control and then helps me sleep at night smile
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Philis, I agree with a previous post,try and stick with the sertraline as will take a few weeks to work and in fact initially heightens symptoms so trying relaxation techniques can help manage the ocd symptoms,Either talk yourself deep breathing or get a cd.I would suggest Mindfulness as a stratedgy (Jon Kabet-Zinn or Mark Williams) not a quick fix though. Best Wishes L

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Phill,

I think with us all with depression, we think and worry too much, but we just can't help it.

The positve is, that you have battled depression and have got better before, so there is no reason why that won't happen again.

I don't think it's an OCD thing, i sounds like anxiety to me.

I know it's difficult, but try to remember you will get better, you did before after all!

Do you remember what helped you before?

I suggest trying to do things that relax you and take your mind off things like, go for a swim, go for a massage, take a break away if you can.

I wish you good luck, and i hope you start to feel better soon.

Take care x

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Thank you, I know I'm not alone and my family r soo supportive but u feel like ur the only one caus it's happening to u. I'm just scared that things will never change and the family and life I should hav had will all b out of my reach. I did come through it b4 but it was much quicker than this and the citalopram worked for me. My mother had depression and I seen how it affected her. She finally lost her battle. This is my ultimate fear! 
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I know the feeling that you feel its only happening to you, i always felt that way, even if i heard someone else had depression, i always thought i had it worse and mines different etc, but it's not the truth.

Of course we all deal with things different, and our circumstances may be different, but with depression, we are pretty much all in the same boat.

I don't know why sometimes we heal quicker, maybe it's something to do with positive thinking, but i know it's easier said than done.

My grandad and auntie both took their own lives because of depression, and i often worry that i will go the same direction. It does seem to often be something in our genetics unfortunatley. But it dosen't have to go the same way.

It's certainly a battle, but we just have to continue, with help and support, and taking small steps to get better.

I know you may not feel strong, but we are stonger than we think, just take one day at a time.

Have you tried counselling and CBT?

It sounds like you may need a lesser dose of diazepam, i can't remember the dose i was on, but i used to take half a tablet, as 1 was too much.

Good luck on your road to recovery.

Take care x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hello. How are you now?
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up