Any quick ways to get therapy?

Posted , 5 users are following.

So I've had my health anxiety for 7/8 months. I've been to my doctor so many times I can't count them! She is trying to organize therapy, but said it could take months! ( p.s I'm from Ireland so don't have as much options as other countries). Anyways, does anyone know if there is anything I can do to sipped things up, my doc said there's no way. Or does anyone know any other way of getting help? .

Thanks, Jack

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

there is a book called " acceptance and committment therapy" that is a workbook for anxiety. my therapist gave it to me, and it has been really helpful. i also downloaded an app called CALM.  believe it or not, this has really helped me. anxiety is horrible. i am in my bed on a sunday afternoon so overwhelmed i don't know what to do, so who am i to offer any advise???   best to you , though.   ...  keep seeking help. don't self medicate. makes it worse in my experience.

• Posted

Goodness me! That's very negative of your.GP! Of course there are self-help methods.

What form does your anxiety take? What are your symptoms or the specifics you are fine hard to cope with?

• Posted

I don't blame my GP, it's the mental health system in Ireland. It's disgraceful, but I'm not going to get myself worked up about it. I have health anxiety ever since my dad died. I had myself convinced I had a brain tumour because I googled my symptoms ( I know....bad idea).

My main symptoms are this weird feeling in my head, like a pressure and dizziness.

I also have a ringing in my ears, ( comes and goes)

I also get blurred vision every now and again, but it clears itself up after 5 minutes.

My gp has reassured me that it is all anxiety related, which I believe, but I still have that fear. It's hard to explain. Anyways, I know it's nothing serious as my symptoms go when I'm preoccupied.  My doctor ( and everyone else in my family ) are worried about me as I haven't cried or talked about anything since my dad died, but I just say I'm ok. I think that's why my GP wants me to get counselling.

Overall, every now and again I feel I can't cope with everything, I used to be really talkative, but now I'm afraid to open my mouth at parties etc...  I wouldnt say it's a phobia, but I just feel uncomfortable. Anyways, sorry for rambling on

Jack

• Posted

3rd time trying to respond, sigh!

I am so sorry you lost your Dad, Jack ( haven't we "spoken " before? I'm sure we have! )

Anyway, here goes again. Grief is a funny thing and everyone deals with it in their own way. But you are holding it all in, Jack. Not crying. Not talking. As though you are trying to avoid its existance. I say this because that's exactly what I did when my own father died. It had an adverse effect upon me, as you say, dizziness, ringing in the ears, blurred vision to name but a few of the symptoms.

I understand the uncomfortable feeling you are experiencing because I was exactly the same. I didn't know what it was or why but in retrospect I came to realize it was an avoidance technique for fear people would ask how I was, about my father, how was I coping? I had a terrible feeling of "losing control " if that makes sense to you? I thought if I "gave in" so to speak, I'd never come back. I had to keep a firm grip on myself or else. Or esle what to this day I don't know. All I know is I was scared.

But like I say, I wasn't aware of all this at the time. We are all much wiser when viewing life in retrospect. And I must add, never, ever apologize on this Forum. That which you put down for all to see? Someone out there will recognize the same symptoms and be reassured. That is of invaluable help, Jack. Better than any pill!

I send you hugs I really do because you are struggling to cope on two fronts, your loss and the subsequent symptoms.

• Posted

By here goes again I mean, I hope this time, after 3 attempts, my response goes ahead instead of lost in the murky depths of cyberspace, lol
    • Posted

Hi Helen, yes we have spoken before...I got you to listen to twenty one pilots 😂.. I have been talking a bit more, not enough though really, I'm going back to school next week and will be even more preoccupied, so that may help my symptoms. I know that other people will see their, and hopefully it will help them. I know that seeing one of these posts when I used to frantically search Google about my symptoms helped me. 

Oh and that responding thing happens to me all the time, it's really annoying after typing for 10 minutes just to see it hasn't sent 😂

• Posted

i thought it was you, you dear boy! I'm so glad to hear from you again! As soon as I read it, I wondered, is that my lovely Irish Jack!!! LOL

Now you've raised you head above the parapet you HAVE to keep in touch with me, okay?

Well, this has made my day I can tell you!!!!!

• Posted

It's not ideal but here in America you can go to an Emergency room and tell them youre.having a mental health crisis. You may have to go to an inpatient program but this is the fastest way to receive care.

• Posted

After reading these forum its seems only in America do they react to mental illness. Im guessing at some point they will follow the lead of everyone else soon enough.  Im wondering if there are private therapists available. 
    • Posted

There are here...I think, however you have to have big money. I'm going to look into it though.

• Posted

This is so unfair and so sad. Worst scenario id say go online and buy a course in cbt. They should have those. I Hooe they have those. 
  • Posted

I gather you are in the Irish Republic.

We are in the Uk so we do not know what the situation is on your side of the border.

All I can say is keep on at your Doctor

Keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Yep, I'm in the Republic..the Government here don't care about mental health and have cut funding etc...Anyways,I will keep at my doctor and see if she can speed things up. Also may be able to go private ( really expensive, possibly too expensive for me ) but will look into it

Thanks

• Posted

In the UK Mental Health is a Cinderella condition and some treatments are rationed. So Ireland is just as bad as the uk

All the best jack, keep a hold

BOB

• Posted

Don't they have antidepressants in Ireland. Therapy for what? No amount of therapy is going to get rid of it. Save your money. You need medication for the love of all that's holy. I don't understand your doc, Duh!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.