Any thoughts??

Posted , 17 users are following.

Just wondering if anybody had any opinions as to why some of us suffer so badly with perimenopause symptoms...while others seem to not notice anything but hot flashes.  My mom did not have all the crap I am dealing with.  I can barely function.  Am i just unlucky?  Also, has anybody else heard that the worst symptoms are towards the end of perimenopause?  

5 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We're just unlucky.  I deal with such tremendous anxiety, hot flashes, panic attacks, sleeplessness, brain fog and fatigue.  I'm only 45 and have been dealing with it for almost five years.  I want to be ME again.  At least I finally know I'm not crazy and this WILL pass.  Hang in there.

• Posted

Hi 

Yes I wonder that as well my doctor said diet and exercise plays a big part . Im not thinking that at all as I walk over 15000 steps a day eat healthy have the occasional day off . And my peri symptoms are horrendous, anxiety /panic attacks being the worse. Feel like Mrs doom and glooom as I worry about everything and more . It’s good to know we are not alone as my friends and family I have spoken too have never felt this way , never spoke to anyone face to face who has had such severe Symptoms like me/us .. take care 💕

• Posted

How do you deal with your anxiety?

Would love to chat.

I'm 43 and going through exact same.

• Posted

I’m the healthiest person I know workout almost every day no junk food all HEALTH and still this HELL !!! 
    • Posted

I need my alone time.  That's the only way I can get through it.  I love my husband to the ends of the earth, but when the anxiety hits I need to be by myself so I don't feel like I have to be "on" for anyone.  I just keeping telling myself it's the peri and it will pass.  I have three bad cervical discs and I'm prescribed valium for that condition.   So I do have that if a panic/anxiety attack is too tremendous, but I try to not take them unless absolutely necessary.

• Posted

I do pretty much the same.

I tend to go quiet and feel like I can't physically speak. But it does sometimes scare me and I feel like I can't be alone. For fear. It's such a horrible symptom. The worse one for me without a doubt.

I've never suffered so bad.

• Posted

Hi Lou, i too have wondered the same as you and yes i have heard the symptoms become worse before the end of peri. I have friends who have only had hot flushes and are fine seem to shrug this all off. I on the other hand  have not hot flushes but many other symptoms. I am 47 and periods all over the place, nausea, digestive problems, aches and pains and extreme anxiety. Can i ask do you suffer from anxiety. I believe having anxiety makes everything worse. Anxiety seems to heighten our awareness of pain etc, strangely though my anxiety started with this. I am interested to see what others say. x
  • Posted

Hi Lou.

Sorry you are having such a hard time with it. If it's any consolation, so am I!

I've been going through perimenopause about a year and a half now. My Symptoms are really quite bad and can be very debilitating.

Anxiety/ health anxiety seems to be the worse symptom for me at the moment. I've never experienced anything like this....EVER!!

I think some of us suffer more thanks to either genetics (my mum was bad)

Or just because our bodies and systems are built different.

What are your symptoms?

• Posted

Great question Lou! I’ve been wondering the same thing ? I thought since I didn’t have any children that was a factor however other women who have had children mention that they are going through a hard time too . 

I’ve had 3 months of HELL and watch my friends just getting a ‘little hot’ which irks me I’m sorry to say 

• Posted

My thoughts? Gut health. Previous surgeries. Whether or not you've borne children and your experience in doing so. Genetics. Overall health. Eating habits. All of it. That said though, there are always exceptions. I know for me, my gut health is NOT optimal. And I am not as mindful of my eating and activity levels as I should be. I am stepping it up now as this is freaking me out. Last ditch effort haha. But I sure wish I had taken my health more seriously through my youth. But I didn't have to... I never had any issues! Youth mentality... It will never happen to me. Sure bit me in the ass!

• Posted

Jennifer!! You said it perfectly!! Every word you wrote is me...especially the youth mentality....I think that's why it's so hard to accept that things are changing because we've been good for so long!

Well said, girlfriend...well said

• Posted

Thank you. I'm very smart now to make up for my stupid youth. Lol. It's true what they say, youth is wasted on the young!

• Posted

I agree with the gut health.  Definitely one of my early symptoms that something was changing.  Bloated and gained weight, then i lost a bunch of  weight and I still struggle to keep weight on.  It’s like I eat, and it disappears into the abyss.  Weird Bathroom issues.  Not fun.  Probiotics not helping.    I watched a documentary about our gut being our “second brain” very interesting.  

• Posted

Hi Lou, I also tend to lose weight and not gain. I have stomach issues too. I have trued so many probiotics and no change. Yes very true about the gut. Last year when i got my anxiety under control the gut settled down and i manage to gain weight, but lost it again.
    • Posted

I would imagine, like me, you probably do not eat as much as before. I also noticed that I have lost muscle...which is heavier.  My mom saw me a couple of months ago and was shocked at the weight loss.  I am small, so it is noticeable.  I had gained a couple of pounds and thought I was doing good...i guess not because of her reaction.  I try not to stress about it, I have actually never been heavy my whole life...just thought everyone gains weight as they get older.  Not necessarily though!  Thanks for your input...very helpful! 😀

• Posted

You're right Lou I don't eat as much as before and plus my diet is very limited. I was having so many food sensitivities that now I'm afraid to try different foods. I was also small to begin and never a big person. So yes if you lose it , it is definately noticeable! I have lost muscle too, only fat hangs from my arms and legs. Ive been trying to do strenght exercises and drinking protein drinks. Even with the protein drinks I have to be very careful whats in it. Last year , my dr. said the loss was coming from the anxiety. I am seeing a nutritionist now so hopefully i will start seeing some results soon. Right now he is treating my adrenals ,digestive system and treating me for parasites. I do notice that my appetite has increased but again I am afraid to eat because of many food sensitivites. No, you are not by yourself when you say some suffer so badly, I was one of them. I'm just starting to feel better . So, hang in there it will get better for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.