Any tips or advice please?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I've been suffering from very bad anxiety for a few years now.  During this time I have collapsed, several times, with a heartrate as low as 40bpm, I also have episodes of psychosis i.e. bad visual hallucinations and delusions.

The problem I'm facing now is I'm going on holiday on Tuesday.  The last time I flew, which was five years ago, I fell ill and actually passed out.  This was due to anxiety.  I am now dreading of flying again and my anxiety is getting worse by the day.  I realise the more anxious I get about it then the more likelihood it is of happening again.  Can anyone please help me with this?  Has anyone else had the same experienes as me due to anxiety?

0 likes, 4 replies

Report / Delete

4 Replies

• Posted

I have anxiety and have never (and hopefully will never) pass out, so I can't really relate to that aspect. But I know it can be difficult.

One time I was travelling on the bus to Boston (in live in the US) and my anxiety was out of wack. I actually felt like I was floating and the tingling sensations was all over my body my mind couldnt focus and I was having visual and hearing problems. But nothing happened to me that was detrimental. I got there safe. And I had my family waiting for me.

If you are travelling by yourself it will be more difficult to face this. I personally would not travel by myself especially if I know that my anxiety can get as bad as yours. If you are travelling with someone please inform them of how you feel about flying. Let them know that you might hold onto them on and off during the flight.

For me I like to squeeze something, its like a stress relief for me. I also like to repeat in my head that everything will be ok. Idk why but I repeat my full name, my parents name, where I live, where I want to live what I want to do, my favorite color and I say this in a whisper or just say it in my head. Its kind of like I'm grounding myself to reality and by doing I know that I'm not crazy that it's just my anxiety making me act weird.

I know this wasn't much help. And I'm very sorry for,you horrible experiences with anxiety.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Hi and thank you for your reply.  I will be travelling with me elderly mother and three teenage sons.  My mother is aware of my concerns, all four were with me when it happened five years ago too.  I will try and remember what you say and try it out. xx
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I nearly have hon. Don't be scared, take it as as a challenge! That you will overcome. Be excited in going and not being nervous and say if I pass out so what!!! I did my best put some encouraging music on and say bring it on!! Say it am stronger than this!!! And anxiety will NOT win x
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up