Any use out of this forum?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Did you find here what you came for? Just share you experience with everyone.

0 likes, 20 replies

Report / Delete

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sorry what are you asking?
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have found the depression forum very useful , this anxiety forum occasionally useful , the PE forum occasionally sometimes useful , benefit and Allowance forum also useful , they are the only ones i follow , i don't always take part in discussions but find the information often useful .
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Posted to few different forums, never got any use out of them smile. I guess its about being persistant, look everywhere untill you find an answer and seek proffesoonal help. From what i read so far its just people exchanging with other people how they feel. Thats not going to solve a problem smile
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Generally if you have a serious or immediate problem you don't sit down to read, you take action. The very nature of these forums presents obvious limits to the kind of help it can give.

For example, if you're bleeding or in serious pain this wouldn't be the place to come for help.

If you're looking for advice, consolation and perhaps some fellowship then this might be the place to look.

This is not rocket science. What kind of help did you imagine you would get here? 🙂

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I take action. I post read and gather information. Hoped to meet someone with same problems who dealt with their problems, and can share methods theve used. Posting on this forum is hardly an action, nothing but a time waste you are right wink
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Oh, I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to suggest it's a waste of time. I think I may have misinterpreted your question. I see from your reply that you were looking to meet someone with similar problems. I'm sorry that you haven't yet met anyone that shares your experience. I'm sure if you persevere, you will.

I do apologise if my comment seemed rude. I definitely misinterpreted your question. I thought you were implying that these forums were useless.

I shouldn't have been so presumptuous. I've had people react to comments of mine in ways I thought were a bit rude and I know it's not nice.

I should have considered your question more thoroughly before leaping to a conclusion.

I hope you do find what you're looking for on this forum. Please accept my apology for being too quick off the mark and a bit ignorant.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yea its this and generally you get annoyed when you dont get help solving your puzzle. I just didnt realise that this forum is full of simple people just like myself who seek help. Its just when you have hope, you make posts hoping that you get a solution to your long term problem, and when you dont get the solution you feel dissapointed and your anger and frustration comes out
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

There is more to these forums than just 'oh bro I feel you, I feel the same way'. 

Of course there is some of that, and actually at times that is very helpful, well it is to me at least.

But there is much more to the forums. I've been able to get feedback about specific medications. I've got advice from people about what helped them and coping strategies they've found helpful, this kind of feedback has actually helped.

Also, as far as the depression and anxiety forums go, I have found it therapeutic communicating with others that share my experiences. Reaching out to others in a similar position and offering advice and kind words has been proven to be therapeutic for people suffering depression and anxiety.

So, yes, I've found these forums to be of real help.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Totally agree with what you are saying , i think some people seem to think their depression , etc will be solved overnight by this forum and the other forums , i find it interesting to see what others have to say about medication , for professional help i have my local CMHT for that though i do appreciate that many don't have that support but that once again depends on the NHS area you live in , some trusts are better then others , since being diagnosed with PE last summer my mental health has taken a turn for worse so i like to follow other forum users and see what suggestions , etc they come up with to help their depression , etc x
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

You're so right about treatment options etc being different in depending on your NHS catchment area. I don't actually know what PE is. I know it's none of my business but I'm curious to know what it is.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I get you. Its just me being too naeve hoping that posting on forums like that will solve my problem. But all it is is you gather information and then try different methods to solve your problem.
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

PE is Pulmonary Embolism , last July i was diagnosed with Blood Clots on the lungs though it was good to find out why i was getting so breathless it also came as a shock as i am a non-smoker and have never travelled further then my local towns ( blood clots often start in the legs when flying , travelling long distance , etc ) , CT scan revealed the clots , further CT scan could not locate where they originated from , having been a active person most of my life i found it hard to come to terms with the illness , fortunately after a difficult start with my local CMHT ( the social worker i had prior to the diagnosis couldn't handle my problems - not his fault , he was new to the mental health centre ) i was taken on by the team leader and he has been a great support offering Art Therapy which i have just finished and was a help , will do it again later in the year , he has been patient , comes to my home so i don't have to go to the centre as the building did cause me problems ( suffer from anxieties and i had a couple of upsets at the centre - panic attacks ) , when i do have to go to the centre to see psychaitrist , Art Therapist he comes and collects me then brings me back home , he does all this as well as being in charge of those under him , attending meetings , etc , am very grateful as he has gone that extra mile for me and those closest to me are very grateful to him ( my family , friends ) , Unfortunately my breathing has became a problem again , just getting up to close curtains , etc leaves me tired , breathless so i am awaiting for results of a Xray , was on steroids for 5 days which my doctor said would make it easier to breath but they haven't , my doctor last July didn't pick up on the problems but a locum doctor did - sent me straight off to A&E - chest infection , kidney infection , blood clots . Never mind , i just take each day as it comes :-)
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That is the way it is really , some members may be able to help you go forward even if they suggest you see your doctor , get yourself referred to local Mental Health Centre's , suggest coping methods like CBT , Mindfulness , Exercise , etc . It is a bit like a community where a group of people are voicing their concerns , asking what others do to help theirselves , exchange views over medication - that can be a difficult subject as some antidepressants suit some but not others , so many AD's out there it can take time for them to work , sadly very rarely a quick fix where depression , anxiety is concerned , some people try and cope without medication but for me i cannot as when i have forgotten to take a days i get irritable , etc , fortunately i live alone with a cat so have no worries if i don't feel up to getting out of bed - if i am having a bad time . take care , please .
      Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

I've just got back from the hospital where I was having a pre operative assessment (having my gallbladder removed) and I had PE explained to me in detail. Apparently DVT and PE are risks after surgery.

what you've gone through sounds horrible! Thank goodness for that locum doctor! Pulmonary embolism is extremely dangerous. 

I admire your courage and tenacity.

Ive had art therapy before and found it to be one of the most useful and effective therapies Ive ever had. My local NHS trust won't fund it anymore.

I hope things start to look up for you.

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Quite true - the risks after surgery , they tend to put a stocking type article on you to prevent it DVT , etc . I just take each day as it comes , i couldn't cope with CBT ( early 2014 - Spring 2014 ) as i have trouble verbally expressing myself and therapist stopped the sessions ( NHS ) , it was late 2014 when i was referred to the local CMHT , the Art Therapy was a good way of me saying how i feel , felt , i enjoy colouring in colouring book for grown-ups - eases my anxieties when i am in hospital , helps me while waiting to go into appointment and when the gentleman comes out to check on me from the cmht i also do it so he thought drawing how i feel helps far better then trying to get in out in words , i can write down how i feel , etc - just not verbally , just finished my 6 sessions of Art Therapy and i can do it again - probably September . Please take care xx
      Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up