Anybody else feel breathless?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I suffer from health anxiety

Today has been a very busy day at work and I've barely had time to think, never mind have a panic attack, but I feel really breathless, while I've been talking to my clients I have been short of breath and now i have finished and I am sat waiting for my boyfriend to finish work and I feel like my lungs are really small and it's really hard to take in air

Anybody else get this?

I'm thinking its a side effect of anxiety cause I haven't given it any attention today

Thank you xxxx

0 likes, 6 replies

Report / Delete

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi there I've been the same the last few days. Really tight chest and feel like I'm not getting enough air in. Felt like my ribs are bruised front and back. Keep waking in the night with a dry cough.  Been thinking that its asthma, pollen etc as I'm not in a particular anxious state. Today though I've been out and about and not thought about it (for once) and I've had no symptoms!!

there are so many symptoms of anxiety but its really difficult isn't it to not zone in on it and convince yourself you have something wrong. X

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I get that. It's the muscles in your stomach tensing and you feel you have to try hard to get  a full breath. The harder you try the worse it gets.  If I start talking about it, like now, it can start! It starts to fade when you focus on something you enjoy or a physical activity. 

Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

That I always the first thing I experience as I am about to suffer a panic attack. I feel my lungs tighten and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest or something. And when I talk I feel like it's taking all the air out of me! I hate it! But I also know it is only because of anxiety because I talk a lot and never run out of breath lol smile you're not alone! 
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Very common anxiety symptoms. I often feel like my breathing is very shallow which can make me a little light headed at times. My heart either seems to race or can actually feel like it's stopped , very bizzar !!  Luckily I have learnt over the years to ignore the symptoms and that way it doesn't lead to a panic attack , still not a nice feeling  though !!
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up