Anybody else struggle with there anxiety when they are alone?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I just wondered if anybody else has found somebody that calms them down (mine is my boyfriend)

when i feel a little anxious and he is not there, if he is at work, or if i am out with my friends for example i struggle to control my anxiety ( i do out of embarassment but its not easy)

sometimes the idea of him not being there is enough in itself to make me feel anxious, i guess i get worried i will get anxious and he wont be there to calm me, its a bit of a self fullfilling prophecy i supose!

Also do you guys think the worse in every situation, ie. i will see an ambulance going in the direction of my grans house, or my boyfriends work and worry that the ambulance is for them.

or if my byfriends phone is off or has no signal, i worry he has been in a car crash or something ridiculous.

does anybody else get like this?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Courtney

Everyhing you have written can be associated with anxiety.  Needing someone you trust near you makes you feel safe and helps to overcome panic and fear.  I too have had a lifelong fear of ambulances, police cars, and even funeral cars.  A hearse pulled up alongside me when I was in my late teens, and I thouoght it was coming for me!  Sounds ridiculous, I know, but these things are common with anxiety.  I am not mad.....I had a good education, and have worked in Finance all my life (retired now)  I learnt several languages at school, and am still studying French.  I have travelled to many parts of the world, raised a family....all sorts of normal things too....but always dogged by anxiety.   Take heart!  You will learn to cope. x

• Posted

Thank tou Cruise Lady, 

i said in a previous post that i always thought it was 'unstable people' who had these sorts of problems,which was obviously extremely niave of me, and it also made me very upset with myself when i started to struggle with it. 

i was just thinking to myself 'im a normal educated person what is wrong with me?!!?' lol but speaking to more and more people about it and being more honest has made me realise that loads of normal people struggle with it too! 

i have a very pleasant life, that i absolutley love, i think thered be a LOT of people who would be very shocked to hear that  struggle wiht anxiety. 

its nice to hear that other people have had the same worries as me though, its very reassuring so thank you.

did you ever struggle with anxiety when you were alone with your babies? that is something that i am worried will happen, as in the near future i hope to have a baby.

thnk you xxx

• Posted

Hello again, Courtney.....

A couple of things.......It is generally recognised that people suffering from anxiety are in the main fairly clever, often creative, people.  Thus their brains are always working overtime!  Think of peolpe like Winston Churchill, Tony Hancock (comedian) and many others.  Take comfort!

My worst anxiety has come in frequent patches over the years, mostly over what could be described as "trivial events" whereas the "big events" I have sailed through.  I brought up four children (not easy) and they have all turned out as very intelligent, with enviable jobs,  but even they admit to some periods of anxiety.  I do believe it runs in family genes!  So if you have a baby, think positive, be strong, and all will be well.

Thinking of you, and everyone else who turns to this site for reassurance. x  

• Posted

Thank you Crusie Lady, thats very reassuring, as i would hate to have a period of anxiety alone with a baby or a child, sometimes i wonder if it would be a good distraction from the anxiety as i find if my mind is busy i dont notice it as much, (not that id ever have a baby for that reason!! i just realised how that might have sounded haha)xxx
  • Posted

I have people that seem to calm me down too but I also have trigger people who seem to increase my anxiety! 
  • Posted

Hi courtney,

Reading your post, i could have wrote it, i am exactly the same, i hate not being with my husband and my anxiety levels increase as soon as he walks out the door.  I m currently trying to tell myself that whatever is gonna happen will happen regardless of wether i am with him or not.  I suppose we have to take control back, instead of thinking that our "safe people" are controlling our anxiet and not us xx

• Posted

Hi Lesley, thanks for your reply, your totally right, let me know if you find any good ways to deal with it smile xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.