anyone been on fluoxetine more then 5weeks advise me please

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm nearly at 5weeks 20mg and its done a lot of good lifting the depression removing the dark cloud of hell but my body is so tired yet my heads like a light bulb. I still feel in my own bubble and jittery. Will this go over time or is it the meds? Iv got to remember how bad I was 3 weeks ago though. I'm so desperate to feel myself sad

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Fluoxetine takes around 6 to 8 weeks to work.so I guess u will feel better as the time passes and anxiety will improve.

• Posted

Hi Rachel,

I was on fluoxetine 20mg for 3 months and I was feeling tired and a bit "off", too- it went away after few weeks (unfortunately, it didn't help with depression, hence only 3 month treatment). Also, feeling in a bubble is often sign of anxiety- do you have any? Anxiety is one of the possible side effects of fluoxetine (paradoxically)- every person reacts to it differently. Maybe you can ask your GP to lower the dose? Otherwise, just hold on there! It is difficult to find a pill that works for depression. If the weird feeling doesn't go away after few more weeks, ask for some other SSRI. Good luck!

• Posted

Yes I have anxiety from trauma and I was in a bubble 24/7 with depersonalisation. This has improved a lot and so has the fog of depression. I'm not left thinking is the spaced out feeling the meds or still just me maybe sad I'm OK while laid down on sofa/bed x 
    • Posted

Oh, I have never met/talked to anyone with depersonalisation! I have a problem with it, too (experiencing it right now, actually), although I have never had any trauma to explain it. So now I completely get what you mean.

Well, maybe you will need additional meds for anxiety to completely eradicate bubble feeling? But if I were you I would just suffer through few more weeks as it is whole brain that adapts to meds- it really takes time. Actually, now, when I think about it, after few weeks of fluoxetine I felt really high, but then it went away ( sad ) ! But it wasn't a bubble feeling, it was more like being on happy-high. Everybody reacts differently, but what I can tell you is that within these 3 months of taking fluoxetine I went through many different stages. Now, I am on lithium 2 months and same is happening- side effects for a month and now I see changes in behaviour. What I am doing is writing symptoms down (week 1- feeling this, week 2- feeling that). I haven't thought about it before but maybe writing down any events that may had influenced symptoms/mood is a good idea :P . Maybe you can do sth similar at least for a week or two to compare whether it is getting better or worse? xx

• Posted

Different meds suit different people.  Unfortunately Fluoxetine did not suit me at all, but other meds did.  I was very very jittery when on it, constantly running around and not able to keep still.  I had to stop after a couple of weeks.

Hang in there, as often we feel worse before we feel better on a drug.  You will know yourself if this is not the medication for you.  If you feel some improvement then best to give it a few weeks to work.  You say it is lifting your depression, which is great.  You have to decide whether the side effects are worth it.  Like you say you are a lot better than you were a short while ago.

I did find some anti depressants my body just could not cope with.  I did eventually go onto one for years that suited me fine.

Let us know how you get on.  Hang on in there, as you are feeling better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.