Anyone else end up with spider veins on surgery side leg??

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am 6 week post op and am noticing spider veins about 3-4 " under my scar.  There is a horizontal band about 5 inches wide across upper thigh that has spider veins that I have never experienced before.   Not sure how long they have been there as I am just now noticing them!  Had my 6 week post op checkup yesterday and forgot to ask DR!  I have never had varicose veins either, so assuming this was due to trauma in that area from surgery??  Thoughts?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I had spider veins prior to my two hip replacement surgeries. I am not noticing any type of increase in them. If they bother you they are easily treated with injections of saline.
  • Posted

Funny you mentioned this.  I just noticed new spider veins in different places up and down my operated leg/side.  I have had a longstanding issue with varicose veins but have not had them come on so soon and in so many places.  I would guess that surgery could increase the pressure on your superficial leg veins as they do cut through them (anterior approach anyway).  Maybe the change in blood flow could stress the smaller superficial surface veins (spider veins).  Just my uneducated guess but who knows.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.