Anyone else feel like this?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

At the beginning of January of this year I started feeling a bit off. Nothing I could really put my finger on. I thought it was the flu that wouldn't go away. I started getting panic attacks something I hadn't had for about 10 years. I went to my doctor at the beginning of February & she gave me a prescription for Valium to take when I was getting an attack. A few weeks later I started getting extreme attacks where my heart was racing, I was shaking, was having trouble thinking with a strange feeling in my head and would be very, very anxious. I would have trouble swallowing which really scares me. I was also going to the bathroom 2, 3, & even 4 times a day. After 3 or 4 of these attacks I went to see my doctor again and she checked me over and send me for blood tests. She called me in a week later and said it looks as though I had an over-active thyroid. The next day I had attack so bad I ended up going to Emergency. The doctor there precribed me some beta-blockers for my racing heart. I seem to get these attacks first thing in the morning & just before supper. Some days I get nothing but still don't feel very well. The attacks last for an hour or two & really terrify me. I have an appointment with an Endocrinologist on Tuesday & I'm hoping he can solve this problem.

I'm wondering if anyone here has felt the way I have & if they've had in luck getting help.

Thanks for listening.

Craig

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've got the same symptoms as you Craig. I've had Graves since 2009. I've gone into remission twice before. Once you get the meds you will feel a lot better but they take a while to work. Take it easy while you are feeling bad and cut aspartame from your diet.

• Posted

Hi, so sorry you feel this way, I felt exactly the same and by the time they worked out what was wrong 2 months after I got sick I was uncontrollably shaking, very thirsty, heart racing and shortness of breath, constantly going to toilet, muscle weekness, felt hot with no temp, gasping just as I was about to fall asleep, Anxious, eyes felt weird and a bunch of other things. I did not believe it was all to do with my thyroid. After being on medication to bring levels to normal things started to improve after a few weeks. I still have some symptoms but have improved a lot. The endo will put you of medication:-)
  • Posted

Hi Craig,

yes, I had all of those symptoms.  It's a total chemical imbalance in your system because your thyroid is attacking it. Think of the enemy within that is what is happening.  The racing heart is associated with panic attacks but with thyroid imbalance, the body is making you feel like you are having panic attacks, usually the brain leads first, if you get my drift. The Endo should be able to help.  Emphasise to him or her, how you need to know why you feel so jittery and they wil explain what is happening. I find that onceI know why something is happening it takes away the fear.  Good luck

• Posted

You can have hyperthyroidism due to a thyroid infection or nodules or you have have it due to an autoimmune disease like Graves disease or Hashimoto's.  To check for the cause of your hyperthyroidism doctors will do thyroid  blood tests including checking blood tests for thyroid antibodies to confirm the diagnosis.  This is usually treated in one of three ways and doctors especially like to prescribe the last two.  1)  You can be given a medication to block the excessive thyroid hormone you are producing, thereby lowering your thyroid hormone levels; 2) You can have your thyroid radiated and then be given thyroid hormone replacement.  The problem with this is it can cause thyroid eye disease - inflammation and bulging of the eyes even if you have not had this before.

3)  You can have your thyroid surgically removed and then be given thyroid hormone replacement.   Some of us have found in addition to taking prescribed medication, if we take certain supplements we improve quicker and feel better sooner.  I added vitamin D, 1,000 mg and L-carnitine to my treatment regimen. I later changed this to Acetyl-L-carnitine, 1,000 mg and my thyroid blood tests improved rapidly.  Your doctors will not know about the supplements but Naturopathic doctors will.  Patient who do their research and become empowered have the best chance at remission of this disease.

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up