Anyone else got the weepies?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Had TKR April 29th. I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing and trying hard to be positive with this very difficult recovery. Having up and down days biput the tears are flowing since the weekend. It's a vulnerable insecure codependent feeling, I've always been independent and capable so this is alien to me. Anyone else feeling same??

0 likes, 26 replies

Report / Delete

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nuala, it is not an easy road, many bad days with some good ones but that improves to good days and the odd bad day. You are very early on this journey and quite probably not sleeping so tired....very tired. Rest when you can, do your physio, ice, elevate and rest. Take you pain relief regularly. Let others take care of you. I know it is hard when independent like I was but to make this a sucess you need to look after yourself. It is difficult but you have to be patient, I am only realising that. Take care  and we are all here for each other. xx
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Oh yea how I sympathise! Had my TKR on 5th may, and have ended up crying a lot in the middle of the night, mostly with pain, (strangest phenomena)  the pain is unbelievable at night, then get really anxious thoughts, will I ever be able to climb the stairs to my own bedroom, we're sleeping in the best Lounge at the moment, will I ever keep house myself again, strangely o enjoy looking after my home and garden, for I simply love it,  and worst of all laying there and thinking its failed, how sad is that! Through bad morning convinced paain getting worse instead of better. However it's just as if a light comes on in the afternoon, and really found I had made quite a big improvement, walking with one stick, only a few steps, general more mobile, and  a lot less pain! Not in as dark a place this evening, praying literally it doesn't return tonight! Frightening thoughts, feel like I'm losing my mind at times, so yes I feel just like you, let's hope better times are round the corner.
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yea I had this..I felt so vulnerable depending on husband for most things ..after a while as you improve just push a little bit to achieve 1 task a day.makes you feel empowered.

I have always been fiercely independent so comes hard...hang in there x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi nuala

i had my op on 18 April so I'm a few days ahead of you, as it were! And yes, I can identify with the weeping. I don't think I've cried so much in years and years. Especially during the night, as others have said....but also daft things, like my hubby walking in the room with a cup of tea for me, will set me off bawling about how lucky I am and what a relief it is to see his lovely smile etc! At times I have really felt quite crazy!!!

Like you I have always been independent - and have looked after others - and I hate this vulnerable feeling! It will pass though, I am sure.....I am already feeling a bit more stable over the last few days.

Good luck smile x

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Thank you all for your uplifting reassuring words. At least I'm not alone with these feelings just hope we can all get through this in one piece and get back to some kind of "normality".

Best wishes to all with this recovery may we remain calm and sane and patient!! Thinking of you Hilary tomorrow. Hope all goes well for you. 😀😂😅

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Nuala,  so normal.  We have all been there.  I believe the anesthesia leaving our bodies causes this, then the lack of sleep, and pain causes it too.  I think my hubby thought I was a little twisted for a bit.  Then he finally gave in and would just come hold me if he heard me crying.

i too Nextoneplease would cry when he waited on me...knowing how lucky I am.  This too will pass.

pam

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Yes, Unalaska. I believe it's part of the whole "wonderful " experience. I had my Tkr on April 14. Had dr appt. he tells me I'm progressing slowly but progressing. That's what I have to hold on to. I get very much like you, for some reason today especially after seeing doc.  He said we all are different with healing........ N see ya in 4 weeks, ha ha, I guess. Try to stay strong n patience is the key word. This is a tough surgery. My do told me he had a 80 youngin he worked on yesterday n he got into the chair with no pain????.  Well I said good for him, I would hate to see a 80 year old to go thru the pain I have every day. So I wasn't sure to feel good or bad about that comment??? I'm 20 years his younger!!! Ahhhhh very frustrating. But I think doc meant well n believes I'll progress. Take care n believe each day will bring further healing, n don't hang onto those negative thoughts, those are the mean gremlins in your head trying to freak u out, shush it away. Blowing healing prayers your way. 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am 8 weeks po. The first 6 were pretty tough. I'm very independent also and was humbled by the little things I couldn't do. I had mua 4/27 as I just wasn't getting range of motion. During the early weeks I cried often. Asking myself why did I do this to myself. My mom passed away a week after surgery so that added to everything. I started with new pt 5/9. My improvement is amazing. I'm off my pain meds. Taking Otc tylenol. I have finally turned that corner. Still not sleeping well as my knee aches at night. But I can definitely see progress. This is a long difficult journey. Let people wait on you. Take your meds when you're supposed too. Rest ice and elevate. It really does work..
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Nuala, I did quite a bit of crying....sometimes when I was exercising, times when pain was unbelievable and other times for what seemed like no reason at all. I heard that the narcotics can make you very emotional, and also nasty (for me, anyway). I felt I was always apologizing to my family for my attitude.

whether it's the meds, the pain, the tiredness, lack of independence....it will get better as many have already said.  I had a mission - op back in september - I took every day as one more  day towards recovery. I was so focused that I didn't think beyond what was happening daily. Of course, the meds gave me such brain fog, I just went through the motions of daily living. I feel like I'm just about back to what would be considered "normal" with no lingering issues and am so grateful for that. I wish all who go through this surgery strength and faith! 

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Nuala this is all very natural. You feel there is no light at the end of your tunnel. It's still early days and sleep deprivation is a killer. I am 4 months on now don't come onto the forum much now but did at the beginning and everyone's advice was so helpful. You will get good and bad days but eventually the good out weigh the bad. I am back at work now which intails a lot of walking and standing and many stairs. I have done it all with no problem and you will to. Only issue I had was siatica on the opposite side and again with so much helpful advice from our friends on the forum I am now out the other side. Thanks guys. Listen to your body it will let you know when your ready for the next step. Don't be to hard on yourself. We have all been there. Good luck and chin up x
    Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Nuala,

I too had my surgery the last week of April. I finally was able to bend to 100, but last night I had alot of pain. My rest was not good, therefore today has been a rainy painful lazy type day. And I am alright with it. As you should be alright with the days that you can't do alot for yourself. Allow the loving people in your Life to assist you (as I am sure you have help EVERYONE in your life, always). So please, stop being so hard on yourself, and cry when you want. Take care of yourself and I assure you, within the next few weeks, this will be but a faint memory. Take care.

Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up