Anyone else having 'clunking' or grinding noise when doing bendy exercise?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am at 8 weeks post op. In the last 2 weeks when doing my bending exercises I have started to hear clunking / grinding noises. My physio therapist says it sounds like arthritis behind my kneecap! It doesn't really hurt but it is uncomfortable. Anyone else have this and what did you do? My pt told me to stop doing certain exercises and that hopefully it will work itself out. New exercise to align my knee. Thanks!

0 likes, 12 replies

Report / Delete

12 Replies

• Posted

Mine makes a click, but not a grinding noise. . .Surely if you've just had a TKR it wouldn't be arthritis on the kneecap?  wouldn't the surgeon have replaced the kneecap in that case?  sounds as if you could do with seeing the expert again, just in case. . .the physio isn't really qualified to say what it is .. . . .hope it is just a temporary glitch . .there seem to be so many of them!
    Report / Delete Reply
    • Posted

Yes its always something! When I got to 6 weeks and my bend was good and I wasn't in as much pain I thought I was on a really good path! I thought that also if there was arthritis behind the knee cap it would of been fixed. I just don't know how to go about handling it. Do I call my surgeon and risk p*ssing him off? Or wait a week to see if things improve. I do see my family doc on Fri so I definitely will mention it to her. I don't see my surgeon for followup until April 23!
      Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Hi Lynda - its quite disconcerting isn't it when you knee starts to make noises? My knee has made loud clunking noises from week 1(now week 10) consultant - he did avery thorough examamination - ànd physio said quite normal - its soft tissue movement not the implant. Also am on a trial which involves lots of extra xrays and questions on progress so feel confident that if the noises my knee is making were indicative of any problem it would certainly show up!! Also remember that the study programme question on knee noises put clunking/grinding/clicking in the same categoryHope this info helps!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

Not had this with my TKR but I know someone who has

If you have recently had TKR surely you should not have arthritis behind that knee cap already!!!!!

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I am at 19 weeks and my clicks quite a lot but doesn't grind. I was told it could go after 12 -18 months but then again it might not! They also said clicking was normal.

Regards Paul

Report / Delete Reply
  • Posted

I have cracking and crunching noises. It is the scar tissue breaking up. About 2 weeks after my op My leg fell off a box I was proping it up on and it made one hell of a crunchy noise. My surgeon said it was scar tissue tearing or maybe some stitches breaking but it was nothing to worry about.
    Report / Delete Reply

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up