anyone else wiped outon PPI's??

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone else feel they're getting wiped out on PPI's? I've been feeling exhausted for a while now and the docs ran the usual blood tests but the only thing that came up was a borderline low neutrophil level which the doctor said by itself was something and nothing. The only thing I can relate to the start of feeling tired is starting my PPI's a few months ago. I know fatigue can be a side effect but I didn't expect it to be this bad! The only thing they didn't check for was b12 deficiency but I would have thought that would have taken quite a while to deplete. Xx

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Overuse of PPIs can induce hypochlorhydria (insufficient stomach acid) resulting in malabsorption of essential minerals. Although not absorbed into the bloodstream until they reach the duodenum, they need to be extracted from foods and converted to chlorides first by the hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

Insufficient iron, causing anaemia, will result in tiredness. (When I was on 80mg omerazole for a numbe of yeras prior to a fundolication which rendered me drug free, that was my plight with insufficient energy to walk 50 yards. )

However, development of PPI induced hypochlorhydria usually requires a high dose over a long period.

Acid reflux itself, however, can also produce lethargy.

Induced hypochlorhydria is covered in a chapter of the free book / wesbite: www DownWithAcid org uk

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your reply. They did test for iron anaemia because i've had it a few times before but from my complete blood count they seemed to be happy my levels were ok. I have been slightly tired since my reflux started and its gotten worse as the reflux has gotten worse so maybe its just that combined with the anxiety. I have health anxiety so I've been doing pretty badly with that since the reflux started. I'm planning on starting some supplements to boost my levels but I haven't worked out what yet. I did consider a good multivitamin, particularly vitamin c with zinc, magnesium (I've heard the oil is better than tablets) and b12 although i heard tablets aren't well absorbed so I wasn't sure if there were other options. The only issue is I have a doctors appointment in just over a week where I'll discuss this. If I start taking things before then and they decide to test I know it can skew results even though my body might not be absorbing them but I would also like to start helping boost my levels sooner rather than later so I'm torn on what to do. I have been looking into low acid levels and read the free book I saw you post someone else previously. I seem to be showing signs of reflux from low levels rather than high from the start (which might explain why the PPI's aren't helping much) so possibly I've not been taking in enough nutrients for a while and the PPI on top just made it worse. Xx

• Posted

Iron deficiency and B12 deficiency could make you feel very tired, and your energy levels would be low.

Are you having enough red meats, green leafy veg, vitamin C for absorbition. In your diet?

i too was getting very tired, energy levels very low. Blood tests reveal, iron deficiency and borderline low B12.

if you are not able to eat much, then it would be a problem trying. To build up your iron and b12. In which case your dietitian or your GP might recommend supplements.

• Posted

thanks brinal, my full blood count didn't flag up iron deficiency but they haven't checked for b12. I haven't been on PPI's that long so I wasn't sure if I could get a B12 deficiency that soon but I suspect my reflux might actually be due to low acid because I don't have some of the 'high acid' symptoms and PPI's aren't helping so its possible i wasn't getting enough b12 for a while. I also looked at my diet compared to the recommended b12 intake and although I'm not a vegetarian (more common for b12 deficiency) I don't actually seem to eat much with b12?! I was quite surprised. I always thought I had a good diet with lots of veg etc but. Counting up the b12 in an average days food I seem to get about a 3rd of the recommended intake, if that. I'll try and address my diet as well as supplements. X

• Posted

Hi there have you had a vitamin D test done if not I would ask your doctor to get it done that can make you feel that way the ppi meds make mine low so I have to take but D3 every day
  • Posted

Hi, I too feel like that on ppi's. A side effect of lanzoprazole is lethargy. I have had all my bloods and I am not deficient in anything either. ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.