Anyone experiencing severe back pain on tapering?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Im tapering off this drug,was on 45mg when I reached 45mg the back pain getting severe,I do have spinal problems anyway,but would be interested is this another withdrawel effect? Or is it mirtazapine at lower dose causing back pain?

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Edited

It's absolutely mirtazapine I've come off 3 times now and had it each time, it's mainly my lower back, it's does go away as the first time I was on mirtazapine was over 6 years ago x

• Posted

Toia,

why have you been on it and off it 3 times?

• Posted

The first 2 time were for depression which I got rid of with exercise and CBT I came off cold turkey with hardly any withdrawals at all, this time was for anxiety caused by steriod induced pyschosis which shouldn't of been treated as it only lasts 6 weeks! Instead I was ploughed full of drugs one after the other which has totally messed up my central nervous system 😑 X

• Edited

What dose were you on? And how long ater did it take for your back pains to go?
    • Posted

I've been on 30mg 15mg 7.5mg in the past and think it took around 6 months for the pain to fully go!

• Posted

Thanks for that toria

i have more pain the lower I'm going currently 22.5mg.hope you are having better days now!

• Posted

Hi Chrisy, had a much better day yesterday, today not great but started taking B12 so fingers crossed x
    • Posted

Pleased you had better day yesterday,take the good ones and enjoy as best you can and hoping won't be too much longer before all your days are good.keep posting.

• Posted

Thank you lovely I will do, nausea so bad today I've taken an anti nausea tablet for the first time in 13 weeks x

• Posted

Hope it passes soon.I could never have got through this nausea without cyclizine from GP to take when nausea really bad,doesn't always completley alleviate it,but does help a bit.

• Posted

My docs will only give me 1 lot of anti nausea as he wants me to have a camera into my stomach as he thinks I have an ulcer (it's mirtazapine I've been here before) even funnier I was on anti nausea on repeat before I told them to take them off! 

• Edited

Do you mean you have back pain at 45mg or now you arw tapering down ?

I am on 45mg and have back pain. I plan to taper soon.

What tapering schedule did you follow and how has it been ?

• Edited

I have pre existing get spinal problems,but found the lower I got on mirtazapine the back pains are much worse,did 15mg to 30mg all side effects migraines sweats tinnitus palpitations nausea,stayed there three months,then dropped by 25% to 22.5mg,stayed there 5weeks,then to 18.75mg then down to 15mg,all had same side effects mentioned above,but when I got to 15mg my back pain was so bad I up dosed to 30mg for 12 nights (gradually back pain improved), now this may be withdrawel effect at lower doses,or mirtazapine does work on nerves and I have spinal stenosis so this drug may be helping mask pain,but can't cope with nightmares anymore,so definatley tapering off this drug,currently at 22.5mg for last 6 nights,will stay hold for 4 weeks until all withdrawels go then taper again.have GP appoint later month discuss options re back problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.