Anyone had induced menopause after an abdominal hysterectomy?

Posted , 8 users are following.

I had a full hysterectomy in Jan 2012 when I was 38 . Since then I have had depression, mood swinging, panic attack, severe migraines knocking me out for 4/5 days, breast tenderness, dizzy spells, weight gain, hot flushes, regular head aches, tiredness.... And just genuinely feeling I have no quality of life! My poor partner is at the end of his tether with me!!! He doesn't know what to do, what to say, or how to behalf around me. My gap has just prescribed Premarin and beta blockers to help - anyone got any experiences to share please???

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi sorry you are suffering like this - i don't have experience of induced meno am going thru lots of same symptoms from normal peri-menopause. I am sure there are lots of people on here who have had Hysterectomy and will be more helpful.  Its rubbish isn't it - feeling so awful al lthe time - and brain fog is dire...  Good luck 
  • Posted

Hi, I am a 62 yr old who had a hysterectomy in 2000 and then 12 months later menopause started, I have had all of your symptoms thankfully not all at once, but at regular intervals. I started on bio indentical hormones after trying many different products on the market, I found them very good at the beginning but after about three years they just didnt do it for me. So I tried Macca powder which I tried for quite awhile. I got good results and recently my GP suggested I try Livial, I felt at that time that the Macca wasnt obtaining the best results for me, well, it was, as I found out when starting on the Livial I gave up the Macca, I have perserved with the discomfort of the flushes etc and now have come out the other end. to my relief I am feeling very good at present, the flushes are now very miminal and the anxiety, foogy brain etc have all but righted themselves. So its really a trial and error process and be patient with yourself, give yourself the credit that you are ok and love yourself more than anything. Your partner he will survive, mine did, so now go and make yourself a pot of tea,sit in a quiet place and enjoy the solitude, you are special, you deserve it, Cheers 
  • Posted

Sorry, I can't help with this one.  I hope you find some way of managing your symptoms soon.   I, too, am a migraine sufferer and feel your pain!!  Ye puir wee sowel.
  • Posted

Hello Gaynor I have had symptoms since having my ovaries removed 2 months ago due to a 20cm Ovarian Cyst and as a precaution as I have a family history of Ovarian Cancer.  I am 48 so this is an early menopause for me too.  The night sweats, flushing and depression are the worse symptom for me.  My doctor has prescribed an anti depressant Citalopram 20mg 1 tab a day and Clonidine 25mg 3 tabs 2 x a day for the night sweats.  So far so good, my mood is lifting and I am able to sleep at night.  The hot flushes still bother me during the day, but the night sweats are getting less.  It is horrible having to go through this before our time, but hopefully things will improve, try and stay positive.  Hugs XXX
  • Posted

Hi there I had a hestorectomy in 2000  and I was good for years even though they left my ovaries, in the past year I have been having varies problems like hot flushes head aches dizzy spells off balance and just feeling unwell, my dr didn't seem to do much about it, he just thought it was in my mind. Eventually a dr said about trying me on hrt just to see if it helped and it was better on some things like the hot sweats but every thing else was pretty much the same. I was on Premarin 0.6.25 after a few months I desired to come off it as other than the hot sweats it didn't help or at least that's what I thought till I stopped it, all of the sudden I was even worse than before. I went back to dr and had blood test and found that overies had shut down. I'm now on premique 0.3mg  but have only been on them just over a week ,so early days but starting to feel a bit more myself. So realy what I'm saying is give it a go and see it can't hurt,  if not u can always go back and see your dr. Hope u feel a bit better soon x
  • Posted

Hi I'm 41 and started perimenopause at 35... I finally found something that helps!!! My dr wasn't much help as my blood tests always showed as normal rolleyes so I tried a lot of over the counter stuff that did a lot of nothing. A friend told me to try vitamin D 1000-3000mg daily and omg the difference is amazing! While I'm not quite a perfectly calm soul the crying fits and insane anger have calmed hugely..! I also have more energy and cope better with the day to day stuff. It probably won't help everyone but it's certainly worth a try.. Good luck smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.