Anyone had problems with Meniscus

Posted , 2 users are following.

Two years ago i tore my Meniscus around my left knee, now i think the right has gone - anyone had this problem?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Doreen

My daughter has a torn mensicus in her left knee that has been operated on and now also has the same problem in her right knee. Her surgeon says in her case it is not from sport but a congenital weakness. She is a teenager. Did you have an operation on your left knee?

• Posted

Yes i had the torn part of the meniscus removed, after about 18 months it appeared to be fully recovered. I do think that the other has now gone but my doctor it is a bit early to tell what the damage is and given a painkilling cream and paracetamol. On both accasions with i didn't hurt it in any way.

If it is congenital are there any other members of the family with it?

• Posted

Hi Doreen,

No one in the family has it that I know of. I have read though that tears that are horizontal are congenital and tears that are vertical are from sports injury, trauma etc. Do you know which you had? When you say that 18 months after you had part of your torn meniscus removed did you have any pain that continued after that?

• Posted

Before the operation i had an awful lot of pain. I was told that it would never be 100% and would take a while to improve. I had physio for about 6 weeks after but it was 18 months before i noticed a real difference. I imagine i will have to go down the same route with the right. It isn't as painful as the other was at present but i am using a stick.

I think from where the holes are that mine must have been horizontal, i had not heard that before. I have knowledge of harming it. My GP says that it sometimes happens if you twist the knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.