Anyone had side effects with your body whilst being on citalopram ?

Posted , 7 users are following.

This discussion has been locked due to a period of inactivity. Start a new discussion

Have noticed some changes in my body and read that it could be down to cit but the side effects were rare just wondered if anyone else have had rare side effects ?

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I had excruciating eye pain with a discharge ..I think cit is the worst SSRI 
    • Posted

What would you say is better to try? I've been on cit for 3 weeks now for social anxiety and had horrid side effects for a couple of weeks but still feel quite shaky and more anxious than before.
    • Posted

Unfortunately you will feel worse before you feel better. It took me a good few weeks to feel better. Try and battle through the next couple of weeks as if you can the medication will start to work and you should feel much bettersmile
    • Posted

Thank you. I really hope so. I am starting to think that I will be this way forever. When it starts working do you just know?? I have had an increased appetite after feeling really sick for the first couple of weeks but I've been really pushing myself to go to the gym.
    • Posted

I have times when I think the same thing, thinking I will never be ok now without medication. The thing to remember is that there is no shame in taking medication.

To be honest I just realised one day that I hadn't felt as low and miserable as I was normally. I think it was about 4 weeks after starting the medication. During the first 4 weeks I was emotional and crying all the time and questioned why I started the medication in the first place. I battled on through and came out the other side feeling more positive and motivated.

• Posted

I agree completely with you louisa.  If taking a particular medication long term is what's right to keep you in good physical mental health then there definitely is no shame in that.  Think about insulin dependent diabetes, transplant patients etc., who wouldn't even be alive if it wasnt for life saving meds.  The thing to remember is that sometimes the anxiety and depression are also life threatening and often due to chemical imbalances - ie physiological not just psychological reasons.  If SSRIs work look upon them as a life saver and be so thankful we live in an era where there is something to help us.
    • Posted

I agree completely with you louisa.  If taking a particular medication long term is what's right to keep you in good physical mental health then there definitely is no shame in that.  Think about insulin dependent diabetes, transplant patients etc., who wouldn't even be alive if it wasnt for life saving meds.  The thing to remember is that sometimes the anxiety and depression are also life threatening and often due to chemical imbalances - ie physiological not just psychological reasons.  If SSRIs work look upon them as a life saver and be so thankful we live in an era where there is something to help us.
    • Posted

• Posted

Hi Danielle.  You haven't said what effects you're having so its difficult to say if we've experienced the same thing or not.  I had severe hair loss on cit and ballooned in weight, even though I wasnt eating differently but other than that my body stayed the same.
    • Posted

I have had hair loss but for the past 3 weeks have had dull breast pain and a cloudy milky discharge coming from both breasts am waiting to see a doc and I know I'm not pregnant and I read this was a rare effect ! 
    • Posted

Hi Danielle.  Although its obviously very important you visit your doctor to check this out, to reassure you, it's actually not uncommon for SSRI medication to cause prolactin levels to rise, which could be causing your discomfort and discharge and is not a cause for concern.  Good luck and I'm sure your mind will be put at rest by the doctor.  Almost always side effects ease off and disappear within a short time.  It varies from person to person but if you're going to be on them long term, its probable that all the side effects will go completely in the longer term.
  • Posted

I was on Prozac for 2 years I had no side effects with this medication but was changed to mitrazipine as it was no longer effective after taking to for many months. Mitrazipine made me very drowsy though. Citalopram has helped my depression and mood. I haven't had any side effects other then weight gain 
    • Posted

Might ask to be put on something else because unfortunately I think I'm gonna be on these for life have tried coming off them but annoyingly the moods come flooding back 😕
    • Posted

I am the same my love, I cannot see a time when I will ever be able to come off the medication. 

Prozac is now called fluoxetine. I think this was the most effective for me with no side effects. 

Stay strong x

Join this discussion or start a new one?

New discussion

Report as inappropriate

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up