anyone had these symptoms?

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor and I decided I should come off citalopram to try something new but ive been having the weirdest symptoms:

Weird dreams

buzzing in ears

airy feeling in head

light headedness

dizzyness

nausea

light sensitivity

headaches

shortness of breath

palpitations

racing heart

tiredness

joint ache

weepy spells

mood swings

Is this normal? I have had ringing in my ears for 4 days and I feel like losing the plot! Someone help haha

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

it could be your body getting used to you been off the citalopram ?? are you doing it slowly ??
  • Posted

No ive had to go cold turkey cos its just for a week then shes putting me on something new but its awful!!!
  • Posted

Yes to all of the above but I had most of them before I started taking cit.

But then I have post viral syndrome so am a walking bag of symptoms which are one by one going away.

:-D

• Posted

I just want to get rid of this pounding in my head ive had it for four days its driving me crazy haha im not sure if something like paracetamol would work?! Atleast I know its sort of normal now haha
  • Posted

Yes I know its really awful, but it is your body reacting to the withdrawal of the CIT, you should never really come off cold turkey, I didn't think a doctor would suggest that without giving you diazapam or something to help you thru the bad days like this. Maybe ask for the cit to be replaced with something a bit quicker. as it has a 36 hour life so should be ok to start something else soon, check with the doc

Did the cit not work for you ???

Anne

• Posted

Hi Heather. I'm in psych nursing and I've also been on Citalopram for 3 years.

I'm not on here as a professional and can't give medication advice anyway but I can reassure you that your symptoms are absolutely normal for someone who has gone 'cold turkey.'

Im assuming it wasn't your choice but just for your information, you shouldn't really be cut straight off from most anti depressants, this is why you're feeling the side effects so severely. In reality they should be reduced gradually, for example, if you were on 40, taking 30 for a week, then every other day for a week, then 20 per day, etc. Many Drs also gradually increase the new medication at the same time.

I really can relate, I accidentally went cold turkey when I forgot my tablets on holiday, people can't understand if they haven't done it, lol! Good luck.

• Posted

l'm comming off Citalopram too--down to 2.5 mg--started going off them in Dec 2013! All these side effects and worse can hit you during this process. 'Cold turkey' definately didn't work for me (was a blubbering mess!) and l've since read that it shouldn't be done with any anti depressant. l still have the ringing in ears and occassional 'brain zap' but it is improving. l wonder what your Doc is going to put you on, as l've also read that you need to completely come off it (ie get it out of your brain) before starting anything else--l'm not a Doc though and maybe things are done differently here in Oz. l wish you luck--l'm going to see how l go without anything for a while. My emotions have definately come back full force, but l think that's a good thing, as l've been living in a kind of vaccumn for too long! neutral
  • Posted

Hi Heather

Why do you have to try something else? I know how this may sound but read about everybody else's problems getting off this drug and think to yourself is the treatment worse than the illness. Get out now and come off these things slowly

Cheers

Peter

• Posted

I have been on 10mg for 18 months and felt i needed mto wean myself off these. i am following the advice of my gp take 2 days leave 2 days off  for twoo weeks then go cold turkey for 2 weeks i started easter friday and i have terribel stomach pains, headache nausea palpitations and feeling a little tearful. Have u had the stomach pain. I also cannot stay up later than 12pm without feeling like i am floating this was also whilst i was on them do u feel the same?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.