Anyone have small-volume BPH?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went to the urologist today and he said my prostate is about 20 (not sure what scale) according to the abdominal ultrasound he did.

I have a feeling of incomplete empything (even though the ultrasound showed I was emptying completely), frequent urination during the day and have to wake up once during the night, and a somewhat weak stream.

He told me to take Alfuzosin for a month and then check back with him to see if that improves the obstruction.

I was hoping (yes, odd) that I had a large prostate, so I could get PAE in Portugal.  However, I noticed that Bagla over at Inova did a recent study with small-volume BPH participants that showed similar success to larger volume BPH patients.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I'm also going to get a blood sugar test this week to rule out diabetes as I've read they can have similar symptoms.
  • Posted

Hi Mike.......the normal weight of the prostate gland is between 7-16 grams, with the average about 11 grams. I'm assuming he meant your prostate would be around 20 grams. It sounds like you're at the beginning of BPH. The med's will probably help for a while- mine helped for almost 10 years until I got fed up and had the TURP surgery around 9 months ago. Assuming it is a prostate issue, you'll probably see a slow increase in symptoms over the next 5-10 years. Most complaints are increased peeing sessions, up more at night, sensitivity to alcohol, citrus and spicey foods, bladder and prostate infections, difficulty in starting the urine flow, etc. Everyone is different.........
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply.  I think you might be right as I'm only 47. I'll see if the drug works but I'm not keen on taking it for life.  I'd rather have the issue resolved rather than ongoing.  At least Dr Bagla's research released today brightened an otherwise dreary day.
  • Posted

What was the news????
    • Posted

Dr Bagla from Inova released research this week at the Society of Interventional Radiologists that prostatic arterial embolization works for prostates for prostates less than 50cc's, between 50-80cc's, and over 80 cc's.  Some of the patients were in the 25 or so cc range.

Dr Piscos in Lisbon requires >40 cc's.  Hopefully, he'll reduce his requirement.

• Posted

Also, my symptoms began when I was around 44-45 so you're in that range.........quite normal I'm guessing.
  • Posted

I have a 37 size prostate and I also hace IC (intersitial cystitis). I suggest you discuss with your doctor to make sure you don't hace IC since you do empty completely. If so I don't think any kind of TURP (or similar) will help. So you would unnecesarily be operated.

I am not a doctor just check up on IC.

• Posted

Will do. Are you on any medication for IC?  Do you still have the symptoms?
    • Posted

I'm going to do a urinary diary and write down all of my symptoms (so I don't forget anything) and then get a 2nd opinon.  Thanks, man!
    • Posted

I take Elmiron for IC, it worked realitively well for about 4 years no I have to also con a strict diet. They also do instilations through penus of elmiron. But you survive all this, not as bad as BPH.

• Posted

Dr Bagla at Inova Hospital in Alexandria, Virginia did my "PAE" on Sept. 10th, 2014.  Not much bathroom success for me however.  The only thing I will say is Iam "Off" the 2 castration drugs I was on and am now enjoying a great sex life.  I had almost forgotten how good sex could really be. 
  • Posted

Which are the two castration drugs Chuck? Heard someone else mention something similar.
  • Posted

Hi Mike

Make sure you check the side effects of any pills you decide to take. I had Tamsulosin and finasteride for 18 months as I had an enlarged prostate. I had Retrograde Ejaculation as one of the side effects of the pills. I did have a TURP operation which has caused many problems with me sex life. As well as the RE I now produce little or no semen and erection problems. I am 63 and enjoyed sex but not anymore. You are only 47 and need to consider this. All the very best Peter.

• Posted

Good advice, Peter.  If I have BPH and not interstitial cystitis, then I'll try to get PAE as soon as possible.  I'm not keen on taking drugs for any long period of time, espeically when doctors seem to discount the side effetcts which seem more prevalent than acknowledged from reading this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.