anyone help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed  6 months ago,  when i came home i had teribble trouble eating  i had the terrible dumping syndrome every morning,   this  sent me into depression and anxiety  which doctors perscribed 30mg mirtazapine (anti depressant) after being on them for a few weeks things did improve  my stools went back to normal  and my appetite increased,   however  every day i had loud  grumbling noises and exssesive wind which was really embarassing,  3 weeks ago out of the blue i started to feel sick  got the dreaded diorehha again in the mornings  which sent my anxiety off again   went to doctors who upped mirtazapine to 45mg ,  which have once again helped calm my nerves   but im still getting the exssesvive wind  really bad,  it feels like everything i eat  i can hear it going through my intestines making gurgling noises, and now my stools rotate from being loose to ok again.    ive cut out all foods that produce wind and tried changing my diet to one of a ibs sufferer  as my doctor  said it could be that but not diagnosed me with it.  had bloods done all ok.   as anyone else ever been like this   would love to hear from you  and any help would be appreciated xx

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, I had my gallbladder removed 18 months ago, I too suffered like you are, I reduced all fat from my diet including butter/ spread, it did the job and I have been much better since, hope it helps. Sylvia. 
    • Posted

hi grannysyl  i have reduced all fat  it seems no matter what i eat  if the diarehha gives me a n break then the bad wind starts sad xx

• Posted

Hi Patricia I have suffered like that for over four years Been under a consultan

t ever since i was diagnosed with Bile Salt Malabsorption I take bile binder called Colesevlam

Which does calm things down but I won't go anywhere anymore then last Tuesday I was discharged from the hospital my consultant said nothing more could be done

So I am left to get on with it I take imodium everyday and have known to have taken the max dose of it just

To get some relief. Go ask your GP for the Colesevlam and imodium xxxxx

• Posted

hi sandynan  this is just so horrible  plays havock with the nerves esp when like you no doctors dont help proper   Have you had your gallbladder removed.    They say that your brain is linked to your gut  and stress causes this,  but when your gut isnt working right it affects your nerves,   no win situation  so effects your life.   even with antidepressants i still feel so depressed ,  im at my doctors friday so will ask about this but they arnt that good so i exspect to get fobbed of once again sad       xx

• Posted

Hi love No dont be fobbed off! You tell your GP that Hospital Consultants are are now prescribing this Bile Binder! There is also another Bile Binder called Questran but I couldn't take it tasted like wallpaper paste you have to mix it with water, the Colesevelam is in Tablet form 650mg I started on two xxx Yes I had my gall Bladder removed 4 and half years ago it was very badly deseased and all this started 3 months later we can't book a holiday anymore so life is very mundane lol thank goodness for my jewellery making!   

• Posted

hi hun does anyof those medication stop the terrible gas  or does it give you terrible gas ? xx
    • Posted

Hi, Patricia!  

Sandynan is correct.  Bile Acid Malobsorption is common to individuals who have had their gallbladders removed, and some who haven't.  

Normally, bile is chemically changed and reabsorbed into the digestive system at some point in the large intestine. Some people don't have this ability. 

In the US, a hospital is developing a blood test to check for the missing hormone thought to cause this.  The only other test is a 48 hour home stool collection. Because of the lack of your gallbladder, bile is constantly dripping into your small intestine.  That's what could be causing your problems, including the gas.

I take the Questran, which does taste like wallpaper paste.  To help with the gas, I suggest you try enteric coated peppermint oil capsules.  These capsules dissolve in your small intestine, and not your stomach.  They really do help with the gas.

Best of luck! xx

Lynda 

• Posted

hi there lynda i dont have trapped wind its the oppsosite were i can stop passing wind  will these still help ? xx
    • Posted

Hi, Patricia, I think that they reduce the wind in any case--so it will reduce trapping and passing.  And peppermint calms the system and removes lots of the "fragrance" if you get my meaning! smile  It can't hurt to try!  xx

• Posted

This is making sense to me.  I had mine removed (in US where I live) and have had two attacks since it was removed.  The second put my liver enzymes at 5 and had me in the hospital for five days, to no avail.  I'm now doing a parasitical cleansing and will follow it with enzymes (natural).  We shall see how this works for me.  I will not go back to the hospital as it is useless to fix the problem.

• Posted

Hi, Karyah,

I am also in the US.  My GI doc told me I had "IBS-D" and put me on cholestyramine and told me to take immodium when necessary.  The nomenclature, "IBS-D" applies to lots of people, including many who have the bile salt malobsorption problem.  There is a Facebook site for this issue, I've learned.

In my opinion, lots of the medicines developed to "treat" IBS-D have inherently dangerous side effects and don't offer treatment of the underlying issues.  Good old USA, don't figure out what's going on, just point a shotgun at it and pull the trigger.  

There's a wealth of info and support on the internet for all of us--just don't scare yourself to death!  smile

• Posted

I'm just praying the pain doesn't return.  For the first time in my life I was asking for Morphine and I HATE drugs.  My nurse friend mentioned an over production of bile, wonder why the docs don't "get it."

• Posted

I think the docs don't "get it" because they'd rather do things swiftly and walk away the "hero" than get down into the muck with the patient, and have to work through signs and symptoms to discover the root cause.  I think that's the problem with most of the medicine practiced today.  They don't know about nutrition, they don't know about micronutrients.  It's just "on to the next success."  So when patients can't be a "success" they're viewed as troublesome or depressed.  And, surprise!  What's the cure for depression (because, of course, it's all in your head) more pills.  So even if you aren't the picture of health, you don't care any longer.

But, I also think that there are hucksters out there in the "change your food; change your life" realm.  They convince people that it's the mercury in your fillings, so people have all their teeth pulled.  Or, that their brand of nutritional supplements or diets are the only things that work.  

I knew of someone once who spent $5,000 a month living with a healer in a tiny room in that small Arizona town known for its other worldly vibes.  Was on a macrobiotic diet, had pulled most of the filled teeth, was taking 10 laxative type substances a day, because the healer had told that person that they had "heavy metal" poisoning.  All the supplements that person was taking daily filled the top of a picnic table. The healer and cronies bilked that person out of six figures.  

So, "buyer beware" smile

• Posted

Sedona--though Bisbee has it's other "vortexes."  

• Posted

Ha, ha.  My hubby was born in Bisbee, lived there 38 years ago and I told him NO way again. We live about 30 minutes north of Bisbee now.  Home of "patchuli!" LoL

• Posted

Okay!  smile As a child (sometime during the bronze age) I spent fourth and fifth grades at Fort Huachuca, AZ.  Our family often went to Bisbee to visit the open pit copper mine!  We had to go to Bisbee, Tucson or Phoenix to buy stuff.  Not a lot at Sierra Vista! I got my first pair of eye glasses from an optometrist in Bisbee...it's a small world, indeed!  

• Posted

Dr. Roberts??? LoL  Small world.  I live 1 1/2 miles from the "Y", or 82 and 90, at the base of the Whetstones. Love it here, dislike Bisbee.  Lived there 38 years ago and hated it.  Close enough to go to the docs in Tucson. Wouldn't use the ones in SV even though a brand new hospital.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.