Anyone know what is wrong with me?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am an 18 year old who is studying for his A levels. I have smoked cannabis for about five years now and it is more recently, the past 1 - 2 years, becoming a real problem where i havent been a day without it and it is the first thing i think about in the morning. I think this could be a cause of my problems long term but at the same time it relieves it short term. I didnt know what to write so i listed some of the things i feel as they came to me:

I get scared and put off calling people (eg. Doctors To make appointments).

I know i need to see a doctor but cant bring myself to.

I get scared when i talk to people of authority (eg. My teachers and managers).

If i see someone i know in the street i will try and not be seen so i wont have to talk to them.

I dont feel comfortable talking to anyone but close friends (even family) although none of my friends know my problems.

I cannot make decisions.

I sometimes think that it would be easier if i wasnt here to deal with these problems.

I worry about college, money, the future. 

I worry about there constantly being something wrong that other people can see (eg. Theres something on my back).

I dont like being in crowded places.

I have episodes where i cant stop thinking about everything bad in my life.

I have a very short temper.

I would rather stay in my room than do anything else.

I cant talk to new people so i dont have many (if any REAL) friends.

I have been through stages where, for two weeks or so, i can feel really bad every day, while i have just been through about a week where i didnt feel bad at all.

I can, often and for long periods of time, feel happy with no stress (mainly when i am occupied/with friends).

I do get times where i cant stop crying, but it is never that bad that i have a panic attack or cant leave the house.

I get worried that there is nothing wrong with me and there is nothing i can do to stop it.

I get headaches often.

My memory is poor. 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I'm afraid its very simple, cannabis is not good for your mental health. If you have a predisposition to anxiety or other problems then it's even worse for you. Stop using it and speak to a Dr and be honest about your use of it. Never use it again, I'm sorry but it's a very stupid thing to do and you may well be paying the price for it. I hope you get the help you need , if you want to continue to use it then I'm sorry to say you won't get help,which is how it should be
  • Posted

I'm sorry to say evan that I totally agree with the comments already made.  For Heaven's sake,(or should that be Evan's sake) whatever makes people take ANY drugs, unless they are prescribed of course.  Was or is your life so dull and boring that you have to take something to relieve it, but actually it doesn't make your life better does it, it makes it worse.  It's the same with alcohol, people go out and get themselves so drunk they don't know what they're doing and then complain the following morning about how awful they feel and yet they still go out and do it all over again, WHY?  

I think most it not all your trouble has either been caused by or made worse by the cannabis which you say you have been taking for about five years now, does that mean you were THIRTEEN when you started taking it!!  Why haven't people got backbones these days and say NO if someone offers you drugs, whether they be cannabis or much harder ones?   Peer pressure is supposed to be a big incentive to take drugs but why does everyone have to behave like sheep and "follow the flock" when it comes to that sort of thing?  You say that cannabis relieves "it" in the long term but obviously it doesn't because I expect the gaps between feeling good and feeling bad are getting shorter and so you need to take cannabis sooner to get back the "good" feelings.  You're studying for your A levels so you need all the brain power and concentration you can get and puffing away at cannabis isn't going to help at all.  Why don't you think about what job you want when you leave school and what sort of impression you will give to any potential employers if you turn up for interviews stinking of cannabis.  I have never smoked cigarettes let alone cannabis but I know I can smell a smoker from yards away so you must smell of it but maybe your long term use of it has dulled your nose to it.  Employers probably won't touch you with a barge pole if they think you are addicted, which it sounds as if you are, so this may mean you will find it difficult to get past any interviews.  Sorry to sound so negative but you've got the rest of your life before you so why not ditch the cannabis and concentrate on living a HAPPY life rather than the miserable one you are having at the moment, there's still time to change your life for the better.

Sorry if we sound like a couple of old farts but sometimes old farts can speak a lot of sense!

• Posted

The regular use of Cannabis was originally thought not to be too problematic, however in recent years a great deal has been done to research it's effects.

The concensus of professional opinion now is that it can and does often have many harmful effects, not the least of which is the damage it can cause to ones mental health.

Whatever the situation is in your case you should immediatley stop using this drug and go to see your doctor, be completely honest and explain how long you have been regularly using it and what your present symptoms are.

In the meanwhile I am going to repeat what I just said - STOP USING IT WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT AND GO TO SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

• Posted

Goodmorning Evan,

I too am sorry about what you are going through.

However as has already been said,and I have to completely agree with the two above posters.

You say you aare scared of seeing a Dr,ok then go see someone else who deals with the sort of problem you ahve .however whoever you do go to see the eventual outcome will be decided by you yourself Evan.

Others can try and help you ,you may listen ,but carry on anyway as you are doing ,but as I say the outcome and the eventual  stopping of what you are doing is solely down to you .

I wish you well in trying to break yourself off this life endagering habit,that has brought you to how you are today.

5 yeasr Evan is a long time ,and 13 is an absolute horror of a time to begin doing so .

PLEASE DO STOP DOING THIS TO YOURSELF AND TO YOUR FAMILY , WHAT ABOUT THIS IS DOING TO YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER Evan.

I am not shouting at you ,just trying to stress the point ,

Take Care

millyimp1322

• Posted

Goodmorning Evan,

I too am sorry about what you are going through.

However as has already been said,and I have to completely agree with the two above posters.

You say you are scared of seeing a Dr,ok then go see someone else who deals with the sort of problem you have .however whoever you do go to see the eventual outcome will be decided by you yourself Evan.

Others can try and help you ,you may listen ,but carry on anyway as you are doing ,but as I say the outcome and the eventual  stopping of what you are doing is solely down to you .

I wish you well in trying to break yourself off this life endangering habit,that has brought you to how you are today.

5 years Evan is a long time ,and 13 is an absolute horror of a time to begin doing so .

PLEASE DO STOP DOING THIS TO YOURSELF AND TO YOUR FAMILY , WHAT ABOUT THIS IS DOING TO YOUR MOTHER AND FATHER Evan.

I am not shouting at you ,just trying to stress the point ,

Take Care

millyimp1322

• Posted

Evan, if you have trouble mustering the courage to go to your doctor, maybe I can help you by asking you to visualise a few different scenarios.

Lets say that were out mountaineering on day, and you slipped into a cravass and were  just holding on by the skin of your teeth. Would you just want to stay there, or would you want a mountain rescue team to come to help you right away?

The answer is that you would want to be rescued.

In this case the mountain rescue team is your doctor.

If you were in a boat that was sinking, would you prefer to just sink with it or would you prefer a lifeboat to come and rescue you?

The answer is that you want to be rescued.

In this case the lifeboat is your doctor.

Go to your doctor Evan, and he or she can and will help you.

• Posted

Hi smile

It sounds like you are definitely suffering with anxiety and possibly depression aswell. I have a terrible fear of doctors, but plucked up the courage to go a month ago, and i am so glad I did.

It sounds like these symptoms and feelings you describe are getting worse, so it is best to see a doctor now, rather than later. I have smoked cannabis regularly at times, but have not at all recently. Because it does definietly make my anxiety worse. It may feel like it helps short term like you said, but you probably know as well as everyoen else that its not helping long term, and its probably making it worse sad.

i hope you're okay, and i really hope you manage to go to the doctors, maybe take a close friend with you, someone you feel comfortable with!

Dannielle

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.