Anyone of Fluoxetine, please help me?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im 13 and have been on fluoxetine for 6 months for anxiety. Four months ago (two months in) I started getting nausea, headaches, cramps, gas, bloating, headaches, jointaches, memory loss, fatigue, weakness and dizziness. My doctors have ruled out parasites, celiac, ibs and cysts. 

I seriously doubt it's fluoxetine as I always had mildish symptoms my whole life. But these symptoms are making it hard to even get out of bed. I have lost heaps of weight while eating a lot of food as well. Is this fluoxetine? Something else?

I'll just note we have hypothyroidism, anxiety and kidney disease running in our family if that means anything.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi ya,

I would go back to the docs, only he can find out whats causing your symptoms. When you get your pills they should have a info paper with them telling you what symptoms you may have when taking floux. I get dizziness and weak feeling with floux but it's only now and again.

Hope u get some answer and feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi! Thanks for responding!

My doctors aren't helping at all. It got so bad I changed gps and they did nothing either. Just took two tests and left it.

The info pack just says headaches, weightloss and slow growing. Nothing else.

• Posted

Hi Beingella,

Fluoxetine seems to take a long time to work.  I have been taking it for 17 weeks and am still having nausea, loss of appetite, tiredness and headaches.  Most people seem to think that if we stick with it, things will eventually improve.  I think it probably is the fluoxetine causing your problems.  The doctor should be helping, especially as you are so young.  Do you have a school counsellor? you may be able to discuss it with him/her and then ask for help to find a more responsible doctor.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon. x

• Posted

Hi

It really sounds like the Fluoxetine causing this.  These are typical side effects of this medication.  It usually starts within the first few weeks and often lasts a few months, though it affects some people in different ways and lasts different times.

Theres a whole list of symptoms that are listed on the Patient Information Leaflet that comes with these meds, though kbviously you don't necessarily get all of them - they're a guideline.

I'd leave it be for a while, keep an eye on it, and if they continue to bother you I'd go back to see your doctor and maybe discuss changing your medication.  All SSRI's suit different people.

K xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.