Anyone on Femarelle? Spotting after periods stopped

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had some very low pelvic pain two months ago, and then I had some rectal bleeding. My Dr. sent me for a colonoscopy, as everyone should have one from age 50 in any case. I am phobic about all these screenings... All was fine. Then he sent me to the gynie, who did a smear, an internal vaginal ultrasound and sent me for an external lower abdomen organ ultrasound. All was fine other than a small fibroma in my uterus. I was so pleased to be over it all and felt blessed. The gynie also recommended Femarelle pills, all natura,l to stop my sleep issues and hot flashes. After a week I felt results-amazing. Then during the second week, I got premenstrual symptoms- tender breasts/nipples. I haven't had my period for about a year. A few days later, I woke up spotting. Very little. So now I have to go back to my gynie. I am hoping it is just the Femarelle or estrogen waking up after a long nap. Can it be that something changed in less than two months? It seems never ending. Last year I had a biopsy after a mammo found a lump, which was just a fatty lump, but all that stress...

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

No Lana, colonscopy's are very dangerous and cause many deaths. It is not necessary to get a colonscopy as a routine checkup over the age of 50 that is a myth. But good to see you came out okay from it.

The soy in the Femarelle could elevating your hormones, as soy is a hormone disruptor.

• Posted

oops where is the edit button? could be, I mean
    • Posted

Hello. Actually virtual colonoscopy has almost no risks at all and is minimally invasive. But even conventional colonoscopy has very, very low risks, especially if it is a excellenr expert doing it. Both are worthwhile, especially if there are any symptoms. You can verify by searching for medical journals that discuss the topic. I did a lot of research on Femarelle, and it seems it may not be the reason for my return of the menses, but either today or tomorrow the gynie will see me in between patients. I will let you know. Femarelle really changed my menopause for the better, I sleep well, have no more hot flashes... 
    • Posted

Sorry Lana, but I worked in the medical field, regular colonoscopies are extremely dangerous and many people die from them.  Virtual ones are okay because they are not invasive. 

Good luck tomorrow.

• Posted

So I was at the gynie. She did an internal US and my endometrium went from 4mm last month to 8 now. She said it could be just because it is a period that decided to show up. My left ovary "looked like it was trying to work" . To be safe she did a biopsy which was bearable. About Femarelle, she said to go down to one a day if needed. Femarelle helps with hot flashes, sleep, bone density and heart. I get the biopsy results in a month. She couldnt say for sure, of course, but indicated that she thinks it is hormonal. I am 55.

By the way, I popped into my family dr, who is in the next room. He said that in my country conventional colonoscopies account for less than one death in 30,000. The risk needs to be compared with the risk of not doing it and having colorectal cancer (about 4.5 % of the population get it) as well as each person's risk factors for it. SO it is a personal choice. He said that virtual colonoscopy is great except that if polyps are found, one has to then go through a conventional colonoscopy to have them removed and biopsied. 

• Posted

Yes, it sounds hormonal.

Your doctor doesn't have his numbers right, it's 1 in 1,000. But that's fine at least you're alright, because a perforation in the colon can cause internal bleeding leading to death.

• Posted

Hmm. I found vastly different percentages in my searches but it does not matter, everyone has to do his/her own research and make his/her own decisions. Just for those out there who may want to further research other than the info my Dr. gave (whom I totally trust, but that is my personal opinion, of course and stats for my little country, and it may well differ to another country). Here is a lead, (but please feel do more research of your own as well) example:

"MORTALITY

Death has been rarely reported in relation to colonoscopy, with or without polypectomy. In a 2010 review of colonoscopy complications based on prospective studies and retrospective analyses of large clinical or administrative databases, there were 128 deaths reported among 371,099 colonoscopies, for an unweighted pooled death rate of 0.03%.2 All studies reported mortality within 30 days of the colonoscopy, although some reported allcause mortality whereas others limited their analysis to colonoscopy-specific mortality. Those reporting all-cause mortality include 116 deaths among 176,834 patients (0.07%).4,9,14, 49-52 Among those reporting colonoscopyspecific mortality, there were 19 deaths among 284,097 patients (0.007%).9,19,49-56". 

http://www.asge.org/assets/0/71542/71544/56321364-c4d8-4742-8158-55b6bef2a568.pdf

American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy

And with that, everyone out there has two different views to consider in concerns with a colonoscopy. I am finished with discussing colonoscopies, which are yucko. 

Waiting for my biopsy results is not much fun...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.