Anyone on the low FODMAP diet?

Posted , 10 users are following.

I was just diagnosed with IBS and my doctor thinks it's a good idea if I went on that low FODMAP diet. Okay I'm confused does that mean all the foods listed I'm never supposed to eat or just eat in small quantities and what do I do when I go home for Christmas?

Any suggestions or resources? Like for example this site that I found really helpful with great low FODMAP recipes https://casadesante.com/blogs/low-fodmap-meal-plans-low-fodmap-recipes I also tried following their meal plans. So far so good!

Would love to hear others experiences here too. Thanks!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Yes i am on the low Fodmap diet and its been great for my IBS.

I would use it as a guide though as not everyone needs to avoid everything like dairy etc. I followed it strictly for a few months trying out different foods and found after that period i am fine now with most foods apart from certain vegetables and fruits. I can eat processed meats like burgers ok and sausages but sometimes i might notice a grumble on certain brands. I guess some might use more onions or something.

Best way to approach it is try it for a few weeks and keep a list of foods that have upset you and then avoid them. I also find blended high fodmap foods are ok for me like a vegetable soup and i guess that's due to the skins not having to be digested.

Some foods on a low fodmap diet can cause issues still like tomatoes for me, so i have to avoid them as the skins are hard to digest and cause me to have bad cramps.

Everyone is different, so try it for a bit then see if you have a reaction to certain foods and then avoid them for the future.

• Posted

I've been following a Low Fodmap eating plan for about 3 years and it has helped immensely in managing and controlling my IBS. I found the publications by Monash University to be the most reliable ( they did the research into Fodmaps and IBS .)

No, you don't have to avoid all the foods on the list, but it's best to start off by eliminating everything high in Fodmaps then gradually reintroduce them, one by one, to identify those that have an adverse effect . It took me about 10 weeks in total to identify my food triggers which are mainly mushrooms, onions, garlic and anything with a high fat content. I can tolerate small amounts of gluten but it's simpler for me to follow a gluten free diet. I'm now quite adept at scrutinising ingredient lists on products!!

Good luck and I hope it is as helpful for you as it is for me.

Jan

• Posted

Hey amyjones, I understand it is difficult to adjust with your new life style when you are living with certain condition. But eventually you will be ok and will feel more healthier than before if you follow low FODMAP diet.

I have IBS and I am vegetarian so my dietitian made the food plan for me so I can't really help you with some resources online. But you can keep your food diary, Try the food and eliminate any food which gives you stomach ache or gas after eating.

The key is to eat in small portions, Initially I was not able to tolerate gluten but after one and half years of gluten free diet I have started eating in less amount and I think I can tolerate it now. So along the way you will have to experiment with different food with different brands of food. I think everyone is different and they should have their personalize diet. So the key is to figure out what suits our body.

• Posted

Hi amy, i was on the fodmap diet, which tbh helped me a little. I needed general dietary advice in the end. On fodmap's i was told to strip back my diet and take certain foods out to discover what was causing the symptoms. You need very careful dietary advice to help you to know what to do. You mustn't just cut out great groups of food. Talk to your doctor again and please don't do anything drastic. Hearing IBS connected with fodmaps can make you panic. The more you worry the more stressed you become, i wish you luck and just try to enjoy Christmas, being there is important right? Food is secondary!

• Posted

My understanding of the FODMAP diet is sort of opposite way around to your description.I think the process is to cut out all foods except a few that have been proved by experiment to be very unlikely to cause a food intolerance problem. You stick with that for as long as it takes for your symptoms to go away. In my case that was 12 weeks and the symptoms didn't really go away but I decided that it was "good enuf"You then introduce foods in groups to see if they bring back the symptoms. The groups being foods that all contain the same FODMAP .

It very good to have a dietician to help with the reintroduction phase.

• Posted

Hi amy, i was on the fodmap diet, which tbh helped me a little. I needed general dietary advice in the end. On fodmap's i was told to strip back my diet and take certain foods out to discover what was causing the symptoms. You need very careful dietary advice to help you to know what to do. You mustn't just cut out great groups of food. Talk to your doctor again and please don't do anything drastic. Hearing IBS connected with fodmaps can make you panic. The more you worry the more stressed you become, i wish you luck and just try to enjoy Christmas, being there is important right? Food is secondary!

• Posted

• Posted

TTo do the FODMAP diet properly you must follow a very strict no FODMAP diet for 6-8weeks to reset your system, then gradually re introduce each group separately to identify triggers. The process takes at least 12 weeks if you do it right, and so it would be better to wait til after Xmas.

Be aware that even some FODMAP free or low FODMAP foods are still IBS triggers, and the low FODMAP diet is only really for pain and boating, so might not help your symptoms much, depending on what they are.

• Posted

Fodmap is only a guide because the recommended foods can cause problems for some and non recommended foods can be fine. Maybe try a food diary first to find your food triggers if any and then you will know better what foods are suitable for you on Fodmap. You could also discuss this with a dietician.

• Posted

Fodmap is a guide only. Some recommended foods cause reactions in some people and non recommended foods cause no problems. Try a food diary first to find out any food triggers so you will know what foods will suit you on Fodmap. Perhaps also see a dietician.

• Posted

Hi Amy

I am on a FODMAP diet for restless legs syndrome. For RLS it has been an amazing help.

The Monash diet is applying science to make it as easy as possible to identify things you should not eat.

The idea is that you go on a very low FODMAP diet until you are stable and (hopefully) with very few IBS symptoms. Then you "challenge" your body by eating foods that contain just one of the FODMAPs You might start eating a teaspoon per day for a couple of days and then increase it for a few more days and so on until you are eating a large serve with no ibs symptoms. This means your body tolerates this FODMAP so you move on to the next FODMAP until you have a good idea of which foods you have to avoid.

I heartily recommend that you get a good dietician to help you by guiding you through the process. This could save you a lot of time and avoid confusion.

One thing that makes this tricky is that for me there is a delay in that if I eat a bit of FODMAP today I might not get a response until tomorrow. On top of this there is a thresh-hold effect. If I eat a 100 gram of FODMAP it might have no effect, but If I eat 100 gram every day then after 5 days I might start showing symptoms. (the quantities are fiction - just to illustrate the point) Add to this that you might find the same FODMAP in some different foods so a little of this and a little of that can add up to exceeding your limit for one FODMAP and unless you are keeping a close watch on everything you eat you might not be able to work out the cause.

Get expert help until you fully understand.

• Posted

Hi, you can get an a fodmap app on playstore and apple store, yes it really helps the fodmap diet, it lists foods likely to cause problems and foods that should be OK to eat.

• Posted

Hi, you can get an a fodmap app on playstore and apple store, yes it really helps the fodmap diet, it lists foods likely to cause problems and foods that should be OK to eat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.